AC Compressor Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC Compressor Noises

I have known for a while my AC compressor is failing. A shop told me that and it makes awful rattling noises when it's on. So I pulled the fuse until I can change it in spring, it's COLD here in winter. Now it makes noises even when it's not on, sort of a clunk clunk clunk that shakes the AC lines and is audible in the passenger area. I am guessing this is the clutch bearing failing, and that I need an entire new compressor pretty soon. My question is, how long can it last doing this, and do I just need a clutch or does it sound like the whole compressor is shot? It still blows cold air when I use it. Thanks!
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Sounds like it's on it's last legs. There's a post right above yours that discusses replacing the compressor. It's probably not too hard to DIY, you'll just have to get the system recharged. You don't want something to happen and be stuck out in the cold!
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Can't you get a shorter belt and bypass the A/C compressor pulley until spring?
      1994 Firebird 3.4<br />15.65 @ 86.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.funkz.net/firebird.htm\" target=\"_blank\">funkz.net/firebird</a><br /><a href=\"http://mywebpages.comcast.net/funkz/timeslips.htm\" target=\"_blank\">Timeslips</a>

Comment

there no way of really telling how long it will last. even though you pulled the fuse, the serpentine belt still runs around the AC compressor pulley. could lead to a big problem if that fails while you are on the road.... more than just leaving you stranded, like the sertpentine belt flailing around inside the bay and damaging unknown amounts of stuff, or just simply falling off and leaving you without your accessories and overheating. No way of knowing.

A year ago I replaced my compressor, ran up a big bill getting a shop to do it. Wish I just deleted the whole system. I never use the AC anyway. I'll sell you my compressor if you want it.... I'll put the money toward the Intense AC delete bracket.
        \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

Thanks for the offer. I do have a shorter belt, it fits OK, although it flaps around a little and taps the throttle body. But it will get me home if the compressor seizes. I guess the answer is that the compressor and the clutch are failing, and ultimately it's gonna blow. Hopefully it'll wait til spring so I won't freeze fixing it. Right now I don't want to buy a compressor because I am not 100% about keeping the car. I'll let you know if I change my mind...
          1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by ellik:
            there no way of really telling how long it will last. even though you pulled the fuse, the serpentine belt still runs around the AC compressor pulley. could lead to a big problem if that fails while you are on the road.... more than just leaving you stranded, like the sertpentine belt flailing around inside the bay and damaging unknown amounts of stuff, or just simply falling off and leaving you without your accessories and overheating. No way of knowing.

A year ago I replaced my compressor, ran up a big bill getting a shop to do it. Wish I just deleted the whole system. I never use the AC anyway. I'll sell you my compressor if you want it.... I'll put the money toward the Intense AC delete bracket.
            That scenario actually happened to me with my old Beretta on the way to school... and yes the AC has been rattling. I can smell something was kinda burning kind of smell. When I parked the car I saw some smoke come out from under the hood. So me and my GF got out and just when I popped the hood to look, the belt SNAPPED and startled my gf when the tensioner hit it's end of travel....it snapped cuz the compressor wouldn't turn anymore and the belt was just rubbing against it....GoodLuck
            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

my a/c pulley barely turns, its just a really slow turning, like if I was doing it by hand. I thought this would've damaged by belt, but I looked at it and there's really no wear on the belt.
              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

Just make sure you vacuum the system out before you open it up. There's a lot of pressure inside the lines, and you also want to make sure it's dry before you recharge it. If you can take it to a shop to have them reclaim everything in the system, you can do the work yourself in an hour or so. Also make sure you replace the dryer filter after you open the system up. Then just buy a recharge kit with a pressure guage, hook it up to the low side, and recharge it to the specs given in the repair manual. It's easy, but takes a little bit of time and money
                2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X