got a new truck, have some problems..... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

got a new truck, have some problems.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got a new truck, have some problems.....

Well I got a new truck. A 1991 chevy K-1500 lifted etc... The car has a few minor problems and I was wondering if someone could help me out to find a fix.

The spedometer works fine, but the odometer doesn't work at all. Doesn't count anything. I looked at recpepts and it suggested replacing the whole cluster to make it work. Is there any way of just adding an odometer to it in a guage or something to keep track of miles I put on?

Also the right front brake squeels like no other yet it has (or had) new pads on it. Anyways to check for what is making noises?

Pleazse let me know,
    Chris

As for the odometer, I would replace the entire guage cluster, it would be a lot of work to add an odometer. If you know which wheel is squealing, jack it off the ground, pull that wheel, and check the brake pads. The part of the pad that squeals is a small metal barb that rubs the rotor when the pad is almost gone, but if the barb were bent during installation, it might not have as much clearance and could be rubbing while the pad is good. You can also check to make sure the pads are good when you do this. Don't let it go too long, it can gouge and groove your rotor, and rotors are expensive as hell, whether being turned, or replaced.
    Teal 94 Camaro 3.4 Liter<br />Transgo stage 3 shiftkit, Shift module, corvette servo, SLP cold air induction,3.42 ring and pinion, Heavy Duty Posi LSD, Flowmaster exhaust, NX, blackouts

Comment

if its a 1991 chances are that the rotors were never turned and need turned. pitted, grooved rotors will make new pads squeak. they make the pads shift in the caliper and you get squeaks. also makes more brake dust which of course causes squeaks.

as for the odometer, it seems suspicous that the speedometer works but the odometer doesnt. sounds like a scheme to keep the mileage reading low. might be something someone did to cheat but they never undid it (too much hassle perhaps?). on a 1991, it just gears so you could possibly fix it if you got it apart. the alternative is to buy a used one from a junk yard and install that.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
        by ssms5411
        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
        1 week ago
      • RPDRed6
        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
        by RPDRed6
        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
        3 weeks ago
      • ssms5411
        No start problem
        by ssms5411
        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X