Fuel Pump Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Problem?

I am having trouble with my car, it is a 2000 pontiac firebird v6. I got in and drove about 7 miles and as i pulled into a parking lot it stalled. It wouldn't start again after that. The engine will try to turn on, but it wont try to turn over. It is freezing here in MD so I thought that maybe a fuel line had gotten some condensation in it and had gotten blocked with some ice, but it still didnt start when the weather had hit 50F. I did a spark plug check and there is spark. Nothing is obstructing the air from getting in. So I am thinking it is a fuel problem. I wanted to know what you all recommend i try before shelling out $400 for a fuel pump. I am not even sure that is what the problem is. I heard that on Fords there is a fuel shut off switch somewhere but I don't know if GM puts them on their cars. Thanks for all the help i get.
    2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Originally posted by FUPA:
    The engine will try to turn on, but it wont try to turn over.
    So does the engine crank? Turn over = cranking, trying to start. If it's trying to start, then it's turning over. Or is it just clicking and not doing anything?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to the ON position? You should be able to hear it hissing for a couple seconds. It's pretty faint, but it comes from the rear of the car.

When was the last time you had the fuel filter replaced?

Get a fuel pressure tester to see what your fuel pressure is.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FUPA:
      The engine will try to turn on, but it wont try to turn over.
      So does the engine crank? Turn over = cranking, trying to start. If it's trying to start, then it's turning over. Or is it just clicking and not doing anything?

Can you hear the fuel pump when you first turn the key to the ON position? You should be able to hear it hissing for a couple seconds. It's pretty faint, but it comes from the rear of the car.

When was the last time you had the fuel filter replaced?

Get a fuel pressure tester to see what your fuel pressure is.
      </font>[/QUOTE]It cranks. Wont turn over. I have never replaced the fuel filter...
      2000 M5 SILVER FIREBIRD<br />*Flowmaster 80<br />*K&N air filter<br />*SLP LCAs<br />*Fast Toys CAI

Comment

I hear no noise of the fuel pump, so does this indicate that it is in fact a broken fuel pump?

Comment

Originally posted by FUPA:
          I hear no noise of the fuel pump, so does this indicate that it is in fact a broken fuel pump?
          No it doesn't. It could be as simple as a blown fuse, or it could be some other electrical failure, or the fuel pump may really be dead.

First check the fuse to make sure that's ok. It's in one of the two fuse boxes in the engine bay, labeled FUEL PUMP.

Also make sure you're not just missing the sound, as it is pretty quiet. ;)
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

dont forget that fuel pressure test if the fuse comes out good
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

there was something goin on like taht with my 99 firebird a few months back. it ended up being the fuel pressure regulator. the car would just crank for a lil while but eventually it would start. i dont know if thats the same thing thats happening to u but i thought i'd throw that out there lol
              1999 Black Pontiac Firebird <br />2 Rockford Fosgate P312D4 subs <br />Hifonics Brutus 1205d amp<br />Clear Sidemarkers<br />18\" Arelli Jovan Chrome Wheels

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X