My windows play tricks on me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My windows play tricks on me

As we all know, our windows are realy under-powered (mainly the passanger side).

But now my driver side window likes to stop, when you put it down, with about a 1/4 of an inch still showing. Then it dosen't work for a while (2-3 mins) and when you try to put it back up, it stops with a 1/4 inch between the top of the window and the t-top.

Is this a normal occurence?
    Red \'99 3.8<br />Induction: SLP Cold Air Intake, K&N Air Filter, Whisper Lid<br />Ignition: Taylor Spiro-Pro Wires, Bosch Platinum 2 Plugs<br />Suspension: Power Slot Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, Mille Miglia MM11-2 18x9, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 245/40-18

this is common
    the windows are not under powered, the motors are over stressed
    dealer quote: $500/window motor
    do it your self: $75 + cut up hands
    -Steve

Comment

mine pulls the same bs. I'm just glad my car's under warrenty. Is there any way to get bigger motors? lol, or lighter glass [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Your power window is going out! The same thing happened on my camaro and also on my mothers! Need 2 have a new motor put in.
        -FLOWMASTER 80 series exhaust dual out,K&N air filter.<br />-Bright Rally Red, 1993 Camaro V6 automatic. No BIG mods yet! But who needs alot of mods when you have 160 hp? Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 tires 245/50-16\'s \"Great tires\" <br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P13.JPG</a><br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P23.JPG</a>

Comment

Real easy to do it yourself - I did my son's Firebird and it took about an hour. Here is a link to step by step instructions, with pictures, on how to do it. This is for a Camaro, but it works for all f-bodies.
          ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

all u need is 50 bucks for the motor at autozone and a good 3 hours (less if you have any mechanical intuition at all ;) ) do a search on window motor and you'll find a link to a step by step instructions w/ pictures, very easy.

edit: doh! rockotman beat me to it [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ July 19, 2002: Message edited by: whiteshark ]</p>
            <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/briansr\" target=\"_blank\">97 White Pontiac Firebird 3.8 A4</a><br />Mods- 2.75\" exhaust, Dynomax muffler, magnaflow cat, SLP CAI, Hypertech 160* thermo, Fan switch<br />Suspension-Kumho Ecsta 712\'s, 32mm/19mm sway bars<br /><br />Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don\'t fail us now. <br />-Elwood Blues

Comment

my driver side went out. I paid $40 for a motor & paid $90 in labor to have it installed at a local mechanic.

Comment

how about some tips for putting power windows into a manual window firebird? [img]smile.gif[/img] The link here refers to cars that already have power windows.
                \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

how about putting manual windows in power windowed cars...man the motors randomly go out for me--and when they do i don't always have the frickin time to fix it, so a manual window roller-downer-thingy would be awesome for temporary use. anyone know if this or how this would work?
                  2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Replacing the power window regulator with a manual window regulator (or vice-versa) is not a very realistic option.

If the car has manual windows, the wiring for power windows is not there, and you would need to add a crap-load of wires, switches, and breakers throughout the body to put power windows in.

If the car has power windows, putting a manual regulator would require replacing the interior door panel with one that had the hardware for manual windows. Either that or cutting some butt-ugly holes in the existing interior panel, and then leaving the window control switches in place and useless.

If the power window is not going up or down all the way, you can usually "coax" it to go the rest of the way by pulling up on the glass or pushing down on the glass while working the button. But this is just a temporary fix that will let you shut or open the window all the way. The best fix is to just replace the motor. It doesn't ake long and it ain't that hard.
                    ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

I think that link should be added to the archives because this is such a common problem with our cars.
                      1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X