Break in period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in period?

I just got a 2002 RS Camaro M5. I've only put 600 miles on it so far. I've been shifting at 3k rpm and kept it under 60 mph. How long is the normal break in period? I've been running into some ricers and want to show off my car. Wont do it till I know its ok to hit it.
    2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Generally, you should go at least one oil change or 3000-4500 miles. For the most part, break-in is done in the first 20 minutes of run time. I don't know if they do a break in period from the factory or not, but cam break-in is those first 20 min. From there, the rings are setting in and the bearings are getting in their grove. Really, I would say that your engine is broke in, but to be safe, I would personally go until your first oil change and inspect the oil and filter for major metal particles. If there isn't, go for it and let the ricers have it. But that is just me.
    1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

A minimum of 1,000 miles is required to seat the rings usually - by 10,000 it should be 99% broken in.

Since its new I would do what I've done to my 3 new fbodies Ive owned so far...
      #1 - 500-1000 miles oil change
      #2 - If its a manual, drain and swap the fluid at 3,000 - it'll really help it shift smoother. Use ATF, takes 3 quarts. I'm running Durablend Valvoline in mine.
      #3 - Drain and refill the rear differential by 10,000 miles, don't go hard on the rear for 3,000 since the gears take a while to break in and run quiet.

The reason I recommend all the fluid changes is because all the stock GM fluid not only sucks, but they underfill everything. On the transmission they only had 2 qts in mine, it takes some 3-4quarts before it drains out of the fill hole (full). The rear takes a good 2 quarts and mine only drained 1quart.

Check all the suspension bolts you can, go under the car and verify they're at least snug, and put a torque wrench on the ones you know the torque specs for. Also, re-torque all your wheels too 100ftlbs at 500 miles, it'll prevent those rotors from warping. =)

But most of all enjoy the car - I bet its awesome, take some photos for us :D
      2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
      Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X