crazy engine knocking. HELP!!! (Bird is grounded *update*) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crazy engine knocking. HELP!!! (Bird is grounded *update*)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy engine knocking. HELP!!! (Bird is grounded *update*)

Ok, first of all I didn't know where to put this and second of all I'm pretty sure I made it happen.

It's been raining pretty constant for the last 3 days here in Mooresville, NC. So come on rear wheel drive, you do the math. I was at work and whiped it around trying to see how close I could get to a cone. I got within 3 feet which was pretty good(in my opinion). So I pull out of work and get going. Within a half mile I have to stop at a light. THERE IS A HORRIBLE KNOCKING NOISE AND IT IS LOUD AS HECK!

Once I got home from working out about an 2 hours later. (Went from work to Gold's Gym 2 miles then home 10 miles.) I got my dad to come out to the garage and he says it might be a rocker or something. That's what I thought, but I'm freakin out cause I hate when my car sounds bad. I'm really touchy about it sounding and running good like most people. So PLEASE SOMEONE GIVE ME OPINIONS AND HELP. THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE.

Travis.

[ September 09, 2004, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: tbird31 ]
    1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

did you do the basics and check your oil? that's the first thing you should check when you hear knocking.
    \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

I will go do that right now. THANKS. PLEASE HELP WITH MORE SUGGESTIONS.
      1995 Firebird 3.4 V6 M5<br />-Firehawk 17x9 w/275/40/ZR17, flowmaster 80s, high-flow cat<br />*new* BMR lowering springs, Bilstein shocks, WS.6 sway bars, polyurethane bushings.

Comment

if you sucked water into the motor it will fill the cilenders and compress and bend the valves when they try to open. change the oil. Take a look at it when you drian it. then see how teh car runs. My guess is that you picked up just a little water and was pased through.
        1996 Silver camaro Z28. M6,<br />12 bolt, 4.11\'s, posi, Rear cover, Spec stage 2, loudmouth, more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=1</a> &lt;Mods, Pics & more <a href=\"http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.mainstreamtopics.com/?index=3&module=2</a> &lt;Fbody Tech Articals

Comment

I am taking the car tomorrow morning to the mechanic I use. The are going to check it while I'm at school. Hopefully nothing big. I just changed my oil so I am trying to go around that cause no oil is leaking or anything. They will check everything though.

Now the only problem is getting from the shop to school and then back after school. HAHA.

Thanks. Travis.

Comment

lol......i'll tell you some things that could be working inside that motor....or should i say "were" working inside that motor..

1.) Bent pushrod, open the valve covers, put some sort of broom handle to the bolt on the lifters, and stick the handle to your ear, if a pushrod is bent you'll hear a drastic change in noise from the others.

2.) Spun main bearing

3.) cracked piston (where it pivots)

I myself was driving like an idiot one day, slid around a corner like an idiot, and went to shift into 2nd and missed, like an idiot, and over-revved, like an idiot, and now im paying for a new motor, like an idiot.....

so with all that said......dont drive like an idiot, you'll pay for it in the end......

if you have a major mechanical problem, be prepared to spend at least $800 for parts/labor, thats probably the lowest you'll pay, because if its major engine work, the whole thing needs to come out and taken apart, then rebuilt.....your best bet is to just get a new engine, will probably be cheaper that way

EDIT: DON'T DRIVE THE CAR AT ALL, you'll only make it worse

Comment

My friend 98_birdman. I just got back from the shop about an hour ago. They said that I did the exact same thing as you. I am now going to need a new engine, or a rebuilt one. I have parked the car in the garage and it wont be out for a while. :( Do you have any information you could give me. Some places were I can get a motor/parts or anything to help me out. I would really appreciate it.

This sucks major cajones(balls)!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                3 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X