160 thermostat cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 thermostat cons

not too long ago i read one of those books GM makes about complete maintenance and repair of a camaro/firebird. anyway, somewhere in there i read that the operating temp range of a 3800 series II engine should be no less than 185 and no more than i think 205 (i was really just looking for the "no less" one and kind of forgot about the "no more" one, but i think it was 205). of course this is operating temp and everyone knows that the temp inside the city can reach in excess of 210 if you can't control your fans or have a car with a bad rep of overheating. anyway, i thought this was pretty interesting and thought it might be something for you to think about if you are considering putting a 160 thermo in your car. i think you should go no less than a 180...i think that's going to be the all-around better thermo cause it keeps your engine relatively cool but can supply the heat during the winter. kind of like people saying that 3.42s are the all-around best gears--they give you the nice off-the-line acceleration while providing a good top end as well. but this is just my 2 cents. :D
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

i agree but the thermo is just so the computer knows when to turn the fans on not keep the engine at that temp it tries but never does, and if the engine does get to cool you'll get an ses light...

merlin
    2002 Firebird<br />2003 Yamaha YZF 600R

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by redbird00:
      the thermo is just so the computer knows when to turn the fans on<hr></blockquote>

Sorry, but not true, the thermostat has no control of the fans. It simply opens at the set temperature it is manufactured with. The thermostat maintains the engine temperature no LOWER than the thermostat set temperature. A thermostat is a bi-metallic valve that opens at a pre-determined (set) temperature, and stays open as long as the engine temperature is above the set temperature.

See the Technical Database for more information.
      Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com

"Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

basicly if you get a thermo that is set for 180, it opens up at 180* and stays open until the coolant temp goes below 180.

Know for the power issue, a low temp thermo will cause you to run rich . Runnig rich will lower you gas milage but it will keep your cylinders cool which will keep you from detonation. a cool bore (cylinder) wil also advance the timeing which will create a little more power, but notheing you can notice

shaun "bubba" [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

running rich will also help foul out your plugs...
          99 3800 NBM Camaro - (Xcessive Xcelleration Racing Team)<br />Ram/Cold Air Induction (custom)<br />Modified 4l60e Valve Body<br />Z28 Catback<br />SS Hood <br />Modified 99 GM 3800II <br />JB Performance Engineering<br />jfbperformance@cox.net

Comment

When you talk about running rich, how much richer does the engine run, and how badly would this affect MPG? Can we compensate for this with a MAFT+?
            Edward D.<br />1997 Firebird A4 - Black Metallic<br />SLP CAI, Decoma 3\" Catback<br />BMR SFCs, 1LE sway bars<br />some other stuff

Comment

it's not a big enough deal to worry about it. maybe 1/2 a mpg at the absolute most. but i guess if you'd like to fix it by trying a maft+, then ya can.
              2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X