plugs and wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plugs and wires

i put in bosch plats and 8.5mm wires from MSD and all the wires are good. i checked everything electrical but the service engine soon light stays on. the car idels fine but it bogs down when driving and when its reved? anyone have any ideas.

i just want to add that the car didnt have any problems bafore the install of the plugs and wires.

[ July 21, 2002: Message edited by: LiquiDCooL ]</p>
    1997 3.8 Red Firebird<br />RKSport 2\" racing springs,TA Rims,<br />Dual Out Magna Flow Exaust/2.5\" Exauhst cut-out (loud),<br />2-10\" JL W-3\'s, 300/2 JL AMP<br />1 Farad Rockford Fosgate Capasitor,<br />B&M Shift Improvment Mod,<br />SLP Cold Air Intake, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Bosh Plats, 160 deg thermo<br /> in the mail:<br />Zexel Torsen Posi Unit, 3.23 (for now)& new transmission.

If it stays on...and no flashing....
    Its not misfiring....

Best bet is to scan it.

Comment

Was the SES light on before you changed the plugs and wires?

Did it have bog down while driving or when revved before changing the wires?

If the answer to all of the above is "no", then you have got a bad plug or wire somewhere, or you have a boot on one of the wires not on all the way.

If the answer is yes, then I would suspect one of the coils, a clogged fuel filter, or dirty injectors, in that order.

As said above, get the car scanned. Autozone will do it for free. Or you can even pick up a nifty Actron scanner for about $140 and do it yourself.

If the code is a particular such misfire (such as P0306 (Cylinder 6 misfire detected), then it is likely electrical, and is pretty easy to figure out where the problem lies by swapping a few of the plug wires around and retesting. In the case of a P0306, if you swap the wires between 3 and 6 at the coil pack, and the problem stays with the cylinder, it is either the plug or the wire. If it moves to 3, it is the coil pack.

If it is a random misfire code, such as P0300, then I would suspect that it is fuel related.
      ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

its not the wires i checked like they are all seated right. but the plugs are gapped at .55 could that be the problem?

it all started when i switched wires and plugs...
        1997 3.8 Red Firebird<br />RKSport 2\" racing springs,TA Rims,<br />Dual Out Magna Flow Exaust/2.5\" Exauhst cut-out (loud),<br />2-10\" JL W-3\'s, 300/2 JL AMP<br />1 Farad Rockford Fosgate Capasitor,<br />B&M Shift Improvment Mod,<br />SLP Cold Air Intake, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Bosh Plats, 160 deg thermo<br /> in the mail:<br />Zexel Torsen Posi Unit, 3.23 (for now)& new transmission.

Comment

I believe the gap is 0.60
          <a href=\"http://alternatebw.homestead.com/files/cam19.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">1996 Camaro 3800II Y87 A4</a> (SOLD)<p>NEW CAR:<br />2003 Ford Mustang

Comment

the gap is .060, but no it shouldnt cause a problem using a slightly smaller gap like you have.

Comment

How would he go about testing one of the coils? How are they tested?

Comment

thanks all i went to autozone and got the car scanned and it came up with the 6th cyl. missing. thanks for all your help...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X