Mods to gain acceleration....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods to gain acceleration....

I would like to know what mods you guys have done or know of that will help me gain ACCELERATION... i don't really care about Top end... ( i mean it's important) but as of right now, i want acceleration... what can i do..
    this is what i am working on now:
    Have the B&B Triflow exhaust getting installed with High-Flow cat...
    <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Get a K&N FIPK. That will help a lot.
    Joe<br />1995 3.4 Teal Camaro<br />80 Series Flowmaster<br />B&M Ripper Shifter<br />K&N Air Filter

Comment

GEARS!!

Especially if you have 3.08s.

Get some 3.42s or 3.73s and a LSD.

Comment

ok two things... they don't make a K&N FIPK for my car (3800) and how do i find out what gears i have on my car?
        <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

Nitrous well it helped me at least
          <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

intake, exhaust, gears, and rear suspension.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

look at the RPO codes on your door panel to find out what ring and pinion gearing you have stock. compare all the numbers you see on the "service parts identification" list with the RPO codes available on the fbv6 tech database. locate your current gearing. if you have 96 automatic, you have either 3.08 or 3.42 (Y87 package or special order ratio). 3.42 is good for acceleration and all-around driving, like MPG and RPM's on the interstate and stuff.

if all you want to do is accelerate as fast as possible (ie you're building a drag car) i'd go with 3.73 or possibly 4.10. you need to consider how gearing will react with future mods.

no question, changing the final drive ratio is the most direct way to raise the torque output of your rear wheels. the torque output of the engine stays the same but lower gears (higher numbers) act to provide gear reduction, a kind of gear-leverage by which the torque delivered by the engine is multiplied.
              keep in mind that when discussing gearing, gear reduction and overdrive are polar opposites. you can either increase torque or you can increase speed at a given RPM, but not both at the same time. theoretically (and all other things being equal) a car with 3.73 rear differential will outaccelerate a car with a 3.08 rear differential, but the one with the 3.08 will have a higher top speed.
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X