leaking oil (UPDATE: i found the leak... need help!) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

leaking oil (UPDATE: i found the leak... need help!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking oil (UPDATE: i found the leak... need help!)

my car is really pissing me off. it's been running PERFECT since i got the starter replaced months ago, when i first got the car. well, tonight i'm driving to walmart with a couple friends before installing my system, and on the way there, we smell burning rubber. we didn't know what it was, so we're just like screw it. well we get to a stop light and we see smoke coming out from under my car. we're like what the hell?

so we get to walmart and i look under my car and the catalytic converter is all burnt up. it's all burnt and it's smoking and it smells quite bad. the damn thing was leaking oil all over the place. eventually the low oil light came on. before i left, i put some more oil in, just so the low oil light wasn't on. what the hell happened? this kind of happened out of nowhere.

[ September 12, 2004, 02:10 PM: Message edited by: j_downey50 ]
    1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

might have been your rear main. you need to go look under the hood for leaks and under the car. im sure you know the signs of a rear main leak.

thats amazing your oil was coming out that fast. did you spring a hole in your oil pan? lol
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

**** there's oil everywhere from the oil filter down and all along the exhaust, up until the cat. is it coincidence that the cat goes out at the same time as this, or are they probably related?
      1996 Pontiac <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a> <br />Black, 3.8L A4

Comment

sounds like you PVC vaule failed and extra PSI in the block blew out you oil pan seal
        www.turbov6camaro.com
        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

it might be your oil senser up front.... it happened to me once, it blew and sprayed oil all over the engine and below it. but it leaked oil pretty quick. it all drained out in a few hours :\ i'd check that our first cos its a pretty simple fix if u dont have any oil left in your car... :\
          99 WS6
          13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
          tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

no, there's still oil in the car... i hope. last night, the oil was leaking pretty bad for a while, until the low oil light came on, but eventually stopped. i put in another quart or so before driving it home, just so it didn't break down on me or anything. i've yet to go out and see if it will start, or if it leaked any oil last night after i parked it.

Comment

i started it up this morning to see if i could find the leak now that i have daylight... the oil is all over the oil filter and that whole area... but it's not leaking from the filter.

the oil is coming out of the k-member (or something like that... not sure what it's called). it doesn't leak very much unless the engine is running, then it leaks like mad.

anybody know what i can do to fix this, or should i just park it and take it to a shop on monday?

[ September 12, 2004, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: j_downey50 ]

Comment

You should get all the oil cleaned off, and then when you start it again you should be able to see where it's leaking from. Just make sure the connections are tight, like the sensor, filter, stuff like that.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X