the sweet smell of antifreeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the sweet smell of antifreeze

yesterday i checked all of my fuilds and i noticed that i was low on Antifreeze...so i put some in and that was that...now all i can smell is that...i have no wet spots under the car after i leave it sittin for awhile...i dont know what it is!! help me

87 Firebird RIP
    96 Camaro RS RIP
    94 Patriot Red 1LE Z28 - Sold
    02 WS6 TA - Sold

if your antifreeze keeps like disappearing ... your head gaskets are blown, you'll see like puffs of white smoke comming out of your tail pipe and it does smell like antifreeze ... i could be wrong though :\
    99 WS6
    13.25@104.97 - Lid + soon to be more other stock items ;D

Originally posted by camaroextra
    tears are great lube, but its hard to get a girl to cry onto her own ***.

Comment

when i change my antifreeze, i smell it for a few days. i think it just kind of sticks around for a few days. but yes, watch for that smoke
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Oh come on guys... he says he smells antifreeze, and you blurt out he has a blown head gasket. You sound like every single person at me shop.

Customer: "My car overheated"
        Gay Co-workers: "Probably a blown head gasket"

I take look at car and replace STUCK thermostat.

Gay Co-workers: "Oh, well yeah it can be that too." :rolleyes:

Where do you smell the antifreeze? Outside or inside? If outside, just buy like a pressure tester. I thin autozone either rents them, or will do it for you. BUt it pressurizes the cooling system, and you can see where it is leaking. If inside, you heater core might be leaking. If your car is starting hard. Like not starting right away, but turning over for a while, and then starting, I would suspect a head gasket. Cause after it sits, then water will seep into the cylinders, and make it take a little longer to start than normal. Good luck. ;)
        Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

it starts right up no problem...i was thinkin head gasket but i dont have any smok comin out of my tail pipes...wouldnt i have white stuff in my oil or somethin? i can smell it inside the car but i always have my windows down and my tops off so that really doesnt say much

87 Firebird RIP
          96 Camaro RS RIP
          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

I smelled antifreeze for about 3 weeks thinkin my water pump was slowly leakin till BAM...heater core went out. Check the passenger floor under the dash for the smell.
            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

did you spill ANY in the process of topping off? when ever i mess with the coolant in my car, i always rince off the engine bay off real good.
              Fighting Texas Aggie Class 2008<br />3.4 t-top bird<br />K&N cai - Mangaflo 3in catback - 2.5in catco cat - Slect Coils - tb coolant bypass<br /><br />\"no matter how far we\'ve come, i cant wait to see tommrow\" LP

Comment

This might sound dumb but, did you add water when you added antifreeze?
                2001 Black Z28 M6<br />Sprayed, slotted, geared and more~

Comment

My intake gasket went. And I had no smell or smoke.

Comment

no i didnt use water when i put it in...and i didnt spill any i made sure i got it all...cuz when i spill it on somethin is ticks me off cuz it just smells til it burns off

87 Firebird RIP
                    96 Camaro RS RIP
                    02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

alright so i just jacked up the car and looked underneath to c what was goin on...my passanger side has got some antifreeze on it...sway bar, tie rod, just in random places but i still cat find out what exactly it is or where its comin from....grrr

87 Firebird RIP
                      96 Camaro RS RIP
                      02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

Passenger side sounds like the heater core like I said...it was dripping onto my y-pipe as well...check there and then the firewall underneath the heater core.
                        <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

how much does somethin like that go for?...i havent seen any on my y-pipe but give it time...i bet ya that it will make its way

87 Firebird RIP
                          96 Camaro RS RIP
                          02 WS6 TA - Sold

Comment

$80 at autozone...sucks to replace since you have to pull it out from in the car, but easily doable.

Comment

my antifreeze was dripping clear across the k-member at the bottom of the car, but it was leaking from a cracked plastic elbow right by the tensioner pulley. it's the intake manifold to heater elbow i think, a $3.00 part, but its hard to get to and you cant see it without taking the tensioner pulley off.
                              <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/483076</a> <br />TSP rumbler, straight pipe, corvette servo. <br />Soon - 3.42+lsd,headers, cai,

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X