blown head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown head gasket

how much would the GM dealership charge me to fix this? or is this something that a home mechanic can do himself? any ideas? thanks.

I don't even want to think about what a dealer would charge. It would not be pretty.

As to fixing it yourself, if you don't already know how to do it then you probably don't want to attempt it.

Your best bet would be to call a few independent mechanics and see what they would charge. No matter how you get it done, though, it's gonna be expensive.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

well its not hard its pretty straight forward just keep unbolting stuff until you can get the head off and put eveything back on in the reverse order that they came off. Its just if you take it to a mechanic its gonna cost you out the *** for labor I blieve in the shop I'm working at we chage like 4 hours to take the heads off and completely replace them.

Comment

hm.. i can unscrew bolts and screw them back on. thanks for the replies. so i'm guessing it'll be close to 2grand? damn that bites.

Comment

well its a lil bit more involved that just screwing and unsrewing bolts. But if you have a lil bit of knowedlge in mechanics then it should be pretty easy. The only hard part is making sure you torque everything down in the correct sequence and to specs or you could really mess up your engine. Just if you do attepmt to doing it beprepaired to invest some time in it. Its not something that can be done in an hour or two.

Comment

yes, fairly simple but a very important job. you'll need a manual and time. if you torque something not in the right order or not the right specs, your asking for more trouble. i wouldnt say its 2K though. atleast 500-1000 though.
            2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

My mechanic told me about $1,000.

Comment

If you do it yourself, be careful of broken headbolts! When my head gasket went i had a broken bolt that was stuck in the head and took about 6 hours just to get out w/o messing anything else up....i also recommend replacing all old head bolts w/ new ones. Job cost me $1500...good luck
                94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

I would have to say more than a $1000. I work at a shop, and one van came in with blown head gaskets, and I recall it was like somewhere in the neighborhood of $1200. I did mine myself. It was a ***** but I kept thinking to myself that I am saving like a grand just on labor. :D
                  Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

well good news is i don't have a blown head gasket, bad news is i have a dropped cylinder. so now you know why i'm selling the camaro.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• FirebirdGT
                      New Site Hosting Issues
                      by FirebirdGT
                      All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                      1 week ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      New Owner!
                      by LETZRIDE
                      I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • LETZRIDE
                      Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                      by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                      Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                      By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                      Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                      02-07-2020, 11:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X