fuel pump replacement follow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel pump replacement follow up

Well today i replaced the fuel pump on my car via the access panel way, wit hthe halp of my dad. the hardest parts of the install were reconnecting the lines afterwards and cutting the hole, in that order.

reconnecting the lines was harder because the places you had to reconnect them to were up to 2 inches to the left of where my cut ended. i would have made the cut bigger but it was after i put the pump in and the fact of the dremel causing sparks with the gas fumes made me nervous. i gave myself about 1/4" more room than his specs said and i still had to cut an extra anch from the bottom. so if you follow these directions add one inch to the bottom and 1/2"-1" on the left, and an extra 1/4" all around.

cutting the hole required some HD cut-off wheels ($6 for a 20 pack at home depot). I used about that much, i dont know how much exactly but it will vary depending on how you cut. make sure not to put too much pressure on the wheel and let it do all the work. the wheels, although they can cut through metal, are very brittle. make sure nobody, including any of your body parts, are directly parallel to the blade itself because they break alot and go flying, and also he mantions alot of sparks but i didnt think it was bad at all. also i still havent found sheet metal to cover the hole, i dont know where to get it. the inside of my car smells like gasoline still. [img]graemlins/barf.gif[/img]

also, the walboro pump he uses is just a pump, and he had to reglue the whole bicket and all that crap. the pump i got included the whole bucket and all the lines that are going into it, a strainer, and a new rubber ring that goes on the top of the whole pump. it made it 10x easier.

the only thing i regret about the install is the fact that it didnt solve my misfiring problem and there is a big oil leak that i just found today. :( i'm going to get the engine steam cleaned so i can find the leak and fix it, then i have to figure out what the f*ck is causing the misfiring. if there is anyone in the sacramento area that knows their stuff about camaros i would really apriciate it if you could drop by and maybe drive it around because i dont know what else it could be. :(

well there is my college thesis... i mean my fuel pump after-install guide. have fun. and be safe.

Good write-up :D I'll use this incase I ever need to replace my pump.
    sigpic

Comment

where exactly is the spot u cut out this panel (location of the pump) ... a zoomed out shot would be appreciated.

[ January 10, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: Camaro2k ]
      Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Comment

i wont have my digital camera until next weekend, but it is easily explained. open your rear hatch, take off the two side panels (one covers your speaker, one covers your spare+jack). fold down the back seats (makes it easier) and just grab onto the carpet and pull it back. then move the soundproofing layer. you should then see the ribbed area where you make your measurements. do 1/2" from left, 1" from top, almost 0" from bottom, and 1" from right. it can never hurt to have too much room.

Comment

sweet thanx ... i have about 85k milies on mine.. i think i am gonna go ahead and do it as soon as the weather gets better
          Ummad!<br />2k pewter maro M5. 160 thermo, WhisperLid w/K&N Filter, Jet PCM Stage 2, Free Ram Air, Air Silencer Delete (purchased already and) waiting to install manual fan switch, air/fuel ratio guage.

Comment

why would you replace the ful pump if there is noithing wrong with it? I think you would at least check the fuel pressure first.
            1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
            Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

Hey bro...I live in Vacaville....if you're ever down this way, I'd be more than happy to take a look at it for ya. I've had misfire after misfire problem with my car. Turned out to be the way the wires were routed. Hit me up on an email if you want to so I can help you out.

kahouna23@yahoo.com
              Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD....you wanna hit it, but you\'re affraid of the consequences...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935</a>

Comment

Originally posted by CamaroRob97:
                why would you replace the ful pump if there is noithing wrong with it? I think you would at least check the fuel pressure first.
                the fuel pressure was like 43 PSI and stock is about 48-55.

Comment

Ah ok, the way you said that sounded like you just wanted to replace it for no reason lol.
                  1999 Pontiac Trans Am M6 Far from stock.....
                  Pics http://rides.webshots.com/album/5599...Dk?vhost=rides

Comment

plus i was trying to fix my misfiring problem. next is to steam clean the engine and to find the damn oil leak... who knows where i can get my engine steam cleaned?

Comment

what pump did you use to replace the stock pump with?
                      Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

I replaced my fuel pump the HARD way. I had a car lift, and a gas tank jack. It still took 4 1/2 hours for a "shade tree mechanic".

Here is a good site for the "access panel" way.
                        http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html

Hope it helps.

Todd
                        Dr Todd

Comment

Originally posted by mike h:
                          </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CamaroRob97:
                          the fuel pressure was like 43 PSI and stock is about 48-55. </font>[/QUOTE]for a 1997 th FPR is 43.5 PSI and my car sits there all the time no problems here
                          www.turbov6camaro.com
                          1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                          4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                          7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                          11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by mike h:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CamaroRob97:
                            the fuel pressure was like 43 PSI and stock is about 48-55. </font>[/QUOTE]for a 1997 th FPR is 43.5 PSI and my car sits there all the time no problems here
                            www.turbov6camaro.com
                            1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                            4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                            7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                            11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by White95:
                              what pump did you use to replace the stock pump with?
                              i dont remember the brand but it was from autozone and has a lifetime warranty. 180 bucks and it came as a whole bucket assembly. i didnt have to reglue anything all i had to do was reconnect the lines and snap it in place. super easy. and for the stock fuel pressure issue, the chevy dealership says i was running 43 PSI and stock is 48-55. unless the manufacturer was wrong on their own product i think they are right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X