best way to get about 30-40 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to get about 30-40 HP

im not looking to over-mod my car, i just want an advantge over all the other v6's in the town [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]
    whats the best way to get around 30-40, (20 doesnt seem enough) with bolt ons.. etc.
    trying to keep it under $500 if possible, if not tell me. just ordered a lid, filter, that should be good for 5hp [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] thank you

Your next step would be exhaust. If you upgrade the intake for more air, you need to be able to move more air out as well. A hypertech programmer might get you another 10-12 horses.
    2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

i thought exhaust would only do about another 5hp if that, and thats gonna run 400-500.. what does the hypertech programmer do/how much are they? if it gets more hp by removing/editing functions or whatnot from the car then thats not something i want either

Comment

I should also note that I plan on getting a rear end with 3.42 and LSD...this wont affect hp but it will make it faster correct? will it become noticeably faster than other v6s with 3.08? how many cars would i pull on them in a stock/stock race?

Comment

Intake/Exhaust/Chip or pulleys

Comment

The hypertech programmer can tune your engine to run on 93 octane, reset your speed limiter, adjust shift firmness for automatics, adjust for GEAR CHANGES, and a few other things. Mine came factory with LSD and 3.42's, so I don't know how the 3.08's are. I felt a definite increase in power after i tuned mine for 93 octane.

And going from the stock single-outlet to a dual outlet muffler should give you more than 5 hp, especially if you run 3" piping and change over to a high-flow cat. It would depend on the muffler, but a fully modded intake and exhaust should give you around 20 hp.

You might also want to see about getting the SLP ram air kit. They run about $100 or so.

And don't bother with pulleys unless yours are worn out. You won't see much benefit there. I'm in the process of replacing some of mine, but only because my car is getting up on 130K and they're getting worn.
            2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

what about a 50 shot of the giggle juice? That should run you about $500 and put you right at about the amount of power that you said you're looking at making. I'm not saying that intake and exhaust are bad mods- they're definatly the way to go to start out, but keep in mind the option of N2O
              2000 silver A4 Camaro<br />Whisper lid; Free Ram Air; BMR stb; MSD super conductor wires; Gatorback belt?<br />1986 RX-7 (daily driver)

Comment

yup..exhaust system and nitrous..the most bang for the buck..and you could run stock on a 50 shot

also..i just went from 3.08s to 3.42s..BIG difference..i love it [img]smile.gif[/img]
                <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

intake, exhaust, lsd w/ gears (something harsh like 3.73 or 4.10, those together will give you a big advantage over stock v6 fbodies
                  \'99 SSM Camaro V6 M5<br />(mod list on cardomain site; too long to list here)<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/v6cam99</a>

Comment

with a hard budget of $500, nitrous is your only option for that kind of power. I would not necessarily suggest going strait to nitrous without some of the other supporting mods, but with the hard budget and a bottomline that you gave as the perameters, nitrous is the only route.
                    \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

i say put a [ricervoice] NOS [/ricervoice] on it. that will give you the HP you want [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ January 12, 2005, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: BLLDOGG ]
                      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Yeah,For quadruple the price he wants to spend...lol

Comment

i can spend 1k, but it will have to be over time, not all at once. plus my wheels/tires will cost me about 1300...(z06 chrome & fuzion zri 275/40)
                          as for nitrous i dont know **** about it, and if anything happened id have no idea what was going wrong

originally i was going to go with magnaflow because i didnt want a loud exhaust.. ure saying i should get the cat too? i heard that makes it like 2x louder

damn this car is slowly killing me the longer i have it...
                          $1300 tires/wheels
                          $300-500 v8 rear end
                          $400 exhaust
                          $500 nos
                          nos sounds good and all but im not sure i want to do it..

[ January 12, 2005, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: 00firebird ]

Comment

Put on the intake you're getting... then you have a few options on exhaust. You should definately get headers, but from there back are the options. The most obvious is to get a car, nice single in/dual out muffler. The other way to go is a nice cat, then put in a cut out, (electronic if you want to open it on demand, or manual if you just wanna use it on the track) then w/ the cut out you can just put a V8 take off muffler. If you don't want a take off muffler, look at flowmaster... they are nice, I love mine.
                            \'97 Camaro 3.8L

Comment

Originally posted by 00firebird:
                              I should also note that I plan on getting a rear end with 3.42 and LSD...this wont affect hp but it will make it faster correct? will it become noticeably faster than other v6s with 3.08? how many cars would i pull on them in a stock/stock race?
                              Tremendous difference... I drove a regular V6 with 3.08's and gave it to my dad, and bought a RS with the Y87 package (3.42's) and it's night and day... I could have sworn for five seconds I was driving a Z28 when I was getting on the expressway....Then...I hit 70 MPH... ;) As far as accelleration while you're moving at higher speeds?... Not to tremendous of a difference infact I believe it becomes slower and slower than 3.08's the faster you're going... But they're great for dragging IMO...
                              1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X