Some sort of misfire (Weird stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some sort of misfire (Weird stuff)

I know you guys on the board have all heard this constant misfire crap, but this is a bit different (Meaning when I searched I couldn't find a DAMN thing [img]smile.gif[/img] )

Story...At first the car was sputtering (misfiring) thru the RPMs but was great at idle.
    once i noticed this I said it was time for a tune up.

Finished the tune up. new plugs, wires and coils. Now it misfires a little ONLY when idle. It is kinda weird.

What could it be???

I mean I am forced to think ignition, because it switched AFTER i did the plugs and wires....so could it be an arching wire or something else?

OMG! im having the same problem except mine is sometimes at idle and at higher rpms... changing the wires and plugs tomorrow....

any other suggestions???? anybody????

Comment

I would Autotap it to confirm the misfire first. Also, I think you'd be getting an intermittent SES light due to a misfire.
      2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

Well.. no SES light.

Its a 93 3.4L btw.

But the wires and plugs changed it soooo much..

It has to be iginition..it never did it before. Know what I mean ?

Comment

Even though they are new are you sure you did not damage a boot on the wire trying to get it on? or maybe crack one of the spark plugs?
          2001 SOM Camaro SS<p>Direct flo lid---Lakewood LCAs----Edelbrock Torque Arm-----Lous Short Stick---Dynomouth 3\" Exhaust---SLP Center Mount Exhaust---Poly tranny and torque arm mounts.<p>My site....http://community.webshots.com/album/49413018hRfdbP

Comment

Ooops...I didn't notice your screen name. I'd check the plugs & wires, make sure you're not fouling your plugs out in some way. When was the last time you had the fuel filter changed?
            2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

does anyone ever get a popping noise when they punch the gas? every once in awhile i hit the gas and theres a loud "pop". it kinda feels like it comes from the intake, but i'm sure what it could be. some ricer tried me last week from a 45mph start so i got on it and it popped. i was pretty embarrassed, but i got beside him again and showed him whats up.
              94 Firebird - Red A4<br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/predatorbird</a>

Comment

6 months ago on the fuel filter...

What are the signs of a clogged injector?

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Predator Bird:
                  does anyone ever get a popping noise when they punch the gas? every once in awhile i hit the gas and theres a loud "pop". it kinda feels like it comes from the intake, but i'm sure what it could be. some ricer tried me last week from a 45mph start so i got on it and it popped. i was pretty embarrassed, but i got beside him again and showed him whats up.<hr></blockquote>

That would be a misfire. My friend's LQ1 (DOHC 3.4L in a Monte Carlo Z34) did that last week when one of his plug wires was loose. I reved up his engine real quick and POP. Check your wires, maybe your plugs, and if not one of those check coils.

[img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

????

Comment

maybe its not at all related to your ignition system.
                      consider the following: your old, "weak" ignition system was hiding a problem in another system. when you brought the ign system up to specs, the hiding problem became evident.... or possibly the newer ignition components stressed components of other systems in ways that they had not been stressed in some time, and this lead to the failure of another system....
                      not necessarily ign related...
                      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X