installing MSD 6AL & Coil packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing MSD 6AL & Coil packs

just wondering if anyone has any pictures or helpful information on installing an ignition box and the coil packs? i did a search and read everything and it just sounds like its a bit of a pain in the a** and it will take about 3 hours.
    how hard is all the wiring? i know that when i look at the stock one the wires will hook up pretty much the same way, whatelse do i need to know? thanks for the help everyone!
    TT BABY!!<br />98 Firebird Y87<br />Headers, Cut Out, 80 series Flowmaster, 160 thermo, SLP Fan Switch, Taylor ignition wires, Yank Torq Conv 2800, B&M Tranny Cooler, Transgo Stage 3, SLP CAI, Whisper lid, SLP STB, DD KB SFC, Billet Adj PHR & LCA. More coming!

the 6AL will NOT WORK with our cars you have to buy the MSD DIS-4

my mom did the wiring its not hard at all
    www.turbov6camaro.com
    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Originally posted by viper04af:
      the 6AL will NOT WORK with our cars you have to buy the MSD DIS-4
      what he said

Comment

wiring isn't that had...i used a diagram some where on here....
        Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

So it goes from the DIS-4 to the say a GM 2-Tower Coil Pack? or would you have to use Blaster DIS Racing Coils? MSD's website says the latter of the two was used with a DIS-4. Also, do you connect the DIS-4 to the wiring adaptor that goes into the back of the ignition control module (flat thingee that the coils sit on)?
          Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

no.

you have to buy the Coil Interface Units (3 of them). They go between the coil and the ICM.

Each one has 4 wires, and the DIS-4 wires go to the CIU's

Comment

So the msd coil sits on the CIU (which is wired to the DIS-4)?
              Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

yes

you wire thos in and the msd take over from there
                www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

I did a little research on another MSD install, and what i gather is that you wire the ignition box to the battery?

Comment

ya you wire the box to the battery, but the harness that goes to the coils have conectors on the 12v wires which stupid people like me wire to the battery too and when you start the car you won't be able to turn it off
                    Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

the stock icm has 12v battery connections too?
                      if so, do you disconnect that connection?

Comment

no all you do put it CIU's in wire it to the harness, then ground the MSD box, finally the big wire of the MSD box goes to the battery...
                        www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

I'm still not getting something. I downloaded the instructions from MSD but still i dont understand. The DIS-4 box is basically an amplifier, right? The box itself, like you said gets grounded and connected to the battery. What i don't understand is what gets wired to the "harness" and by harness you mean the ICM?

Comment

no the msd has a wireing harness with it, that conect to the CIU
                            www.turbov6camaro.com

Comment

i'm sorry i think i confused you when I said that I wired my harness to the battery by mistake...the box get wired to the battery, the harness plugs into the box and gets wires to the CIUs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                                Good to see the site is back up
                                by 2.8 Bird
                                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                                5 hours ago
                              • FirebirdGT
                                New Site Hosting Issues
                                by FirebirdGT
                                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                                1 week ago
                              • LETZRIDE
                                New Owner!
                                by LETZRIDE
                                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X