3.8L help. - CAI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8L help. - CAI question

Alright I'm posting here cause this is the best place I know of to get help about the 3.8L v6 f-body.

#1 question:
    We (my g/f and I, she owns a 96 silver vert camaro) installed a SLP CAI onto her car. I noticed after we put the SLP CAI on... well when you run the car it makes a loud sucking noise (very loud...much louder than im used to with my K&N FIPK)

Question is, I heard it for like the Nth time today and just it occoured to me that it didn't sound right. should it be making that noise. if not, why would it make the sucking noise. I'm familiar in great detail with the 60* v6, but the 3.8's are new to me.

#2 - When she runs her car and it gets warm, and she is in 4th gear and decides to put the pedal down, the car gets sluggish and misfires, badly! you can feel the engine misfiring (lots of bumps). can anyone give me reasons for that? she had her plugs wires checked, her #6 wire was melted and she had it replaced, but the car still does it. any suggestions?

thanks.

-R

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
    Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
    West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Yes, the SLP CAI will make a real loud sucking noise. Thats very common. Especially if you are are like 15-25% throttle just cruising, itll suck pretty loud.

The miss could either be the plug, but im guessin its a coil pack actually. When my coils started to go, i couldnt notice it really in 1-3rd gear, but when i applied throttle a lot in 4th, it would miss like crazy. I didnt even get an SES light until like a month later.

Heres what i did:

Finally, when it started to miss REAL bad, i left it in 4th and beat on the car for about 3 minutes. Finally, the SES light showed. Took it to autozone with the SES on, got it scanned, and got a Cyl #5 miss. Switches 2 of the coils, cleared the code, went out, beat it again until i got another SES. Now it was a Cyl #3 miss. I knew it was the coil. Replaced it, and good as new. Id suggest replacing the plugs now anyway. The miss really fouled the plug.

Comment

thanks Ian.

hybrid - \'\'hI-br&d - The offspring of a cross between species.
      Co-Founder West Coast F-Bodies
      West Coast F-Bodies Car Club - WCFB Message Board

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X