Engine Starting Problems!! Please Help!!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Starting Problems!! Please Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Starting Problems!! Please Help!!!

A yes I have a 96 camaro 3.8 series II v6 and it has the factory anti theft detterent device and ok the car wont start or crank over at all and it only will if i bypass the wires and it will start and run for like 3 seconds then it just cuts out and dies!! the security light stays on the whole time and i was wandering if the security had anything to do with this because i think it has a device that keeps the engine from running!! and do you know how or what i can do to fix it!! i dont have any codes for the security system yet and i was wondering if that was why it cuts the motor out, and i dont know if its armed or what and how could i tell!! thanks

Sounds like it's time to replace your ignition cylinder.

Inside your ignition cylinder is two contacts that contact the resistor pill in your key. If the measured resistance doesn't match what is programmed in the PCM, then the car won't start. If the car is started somehow (i.e. push start), the car will die within seconds.

The contacts have either worn down to the point they don't contact the key, or your contacts on your key are worn down. Try another ignition key, if the problem persists then see my first comment. ;)

P.S. This system is known as "VATS" or (Vehicle Anti-Theft System)
    Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

a yes thanks i will try that, but like i said up there is this probally the reason why it does this because like after i start it and it runs for 3 seconds it cuts out and it sounds like the fuel quits going into the motor? and is this VATS part of the security system? Is there any other way to fix this so i wouldnt have to replace the whole thing? and when i bypass the wires it starts but cuts out!! will it still do it if i fix the VATS? thanks

Comment

I've seen this problem in my 99 Bird. I get into the car and the security light is on, and the car won't start. What has cured my problem is locking the car, with the keyfob, and waiting like 4-5 minutes. Then my security light goes off, and i can start up, with no problem. Give it a try, and if that doesn't work, I agree with Jason's diagnosis. Cheers
        Now, how badly do YOU want to see my brake lights?<br /><br />Pacesetter headers, 3 inch y pipe, high flow cat, magnaflow catback, many suspension mods, intake, built a4 with 3200 torque converter, 5 angle head job, dis 4, firewires, etc etc....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X