Loud Ticking noise, Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Ticking noise, Please help!

My friend has a '96 Camaro 3.8, it is making a loud ticking noise. You can barley hear it at idle and when at 2,500 RPM it gets really loud. Seems to go away in the higher RPM"s. Car also has a power loss and bogs really bead after 3,000 RPM. It bogs so bad it wont even accelerate once passed 3,000 RPM. And the tick is always loudest at 2,500. What could this be? please help.

I am his freind and that is my car...I can feel the vibration in the peddle and the stick. Like P said it is real bad at 2.5k...???
    \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

I'm sure that your car is misfiring. The spark is arcing to the block somewhere. Pop the hood, and follow the wires while it is running. You will probably be able to see a giant spark going from one of the wires to the engine block. To fix it you should replace the plugs and wires.
      <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

I think your way off Billy, Just to give you an idea of what is going on a few months ago we had the same ticking noise. Then we ran some SeaFoam through the engine and it went away. Now its back. I dont think its a missfire I think it is something else. Have any other ideas?

Comment

I had similar symptoms when I had a clogged cat.

Except that the loud tick got louder as the rpm's increased.

The tick sounded like someone was hitting my cat with a metal hammer.

What does the tick sound like? and where is it coming from?
          Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

Comment

Seems to me and Preston to be coming from the drivers side of the block. I dont think it is arcing of on to the block...I feel a vibration in the peddle and the stick so I really think it might be someting else. I have ran the CD2 oil detergent and it hasn't helped this time...I will try seafoam and an oil change if I can afford it...Do you guys thiunk it could be anything else?
            \"If I have seen further, it is by standing upon the <br />shoulders of giants.\" (Isaac Newton)

Comment

Rod bearings!! Is it coming from the top of the engine or the bottom. I have a 98 firebird and it is in the shop right now because I spun a rod bearing... Get a stethascope and see were the noise is coming from...
              Jeff ..
              1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
              2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
              1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
              http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

I still think it sounds like a mis. Are you getting a SES light? If it is messing up that bad, it should give at least a DTC. I would take it down to AutoZone and have them scan it.
                <a href=\"http://www.fatninjas.com/camaro\" target=\"_blank\">\'96 Camaro Convertible</a>

Comment

Thanks for the help so far...

Well me and Preston are on our way home from work we get off the freeway and drive about 20 blocks. Well we finally stop at a light. The oil pressure gauge flicker a little and then just drops...The car stops. We try to get it to turn and it turns over to shut offf instantly. Well me and Preston and this COP push it throught the intersection into a p.lot. Well it kind off sounded/felt like the battery went dead on me but I was showing a full charge. And yes the oil level was full. Well we wwalk to Prestons house grab the Honda and went to jump it. I trried to turn it over and it wont. It kind of sounds dry...What could it be. Please tell me I didnt seize my motor? Could the oil pump(if I have one) just have stopped working? Could my computer be the thing that wont let it turn over...

Comment

I moved to advanced...

Comment

Did you check all you exhaust manifold bolts? Possibly leak between the header and the head.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X