Losing Power (Good Information Here) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Losing Power (Good Information Here)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing Power (Good Information Here)

Just the other day my friend was at a shop with a dyno. a kid comes in (around his early 20's late teens) he comes in with a civic.

Mods (Cold Air Induction) and a big ol expensive (exhaust system)

The car runs on the dyno...
    the technician tells the kid. "You have 86 HP"

The kid looks pist off and gets in his car and drives off. :mad:

My friend can not help but laugh his *** off with the technician.

This is a basic problem these days, people that do not know how to mod a car properly.

I am sure we have many people on this board with the same problems who dont see gains in there car after mods that should gain.

Ok, if you are going to make your engine breathe better with a higher flow exhaust system and high flow intake, you are going to need to adjust your fuel and spark as well, or you will lose HP. Remember, when modding your engine to gain HP, you must look at all the chain of events that take place, Too little Air, Too little Spark, Too little exhaust, and Too little Fuel will hurt you more than help you.

Its like baking cookies, You want more cookies right? bigger batch, so you add say, another 2 eggs, another half stick of butter another cup of flour, another 1/4 cup of sugar, but you add the same ammount of baking soda as the original smaller batch!!!
    You just f*cked up your cookies. And wasted your ingredients.

But certain ingredients bend the rules, like if you want it sweater you can add more sugar without a problem, or more chocolate chips without a problem. Just like some mods with a car. (colder air, higher octane gas, better spark plugs)
    But adding more flower or not enough eggs, can result in cookies that come out bad :( (too much air without enough fuel, too much fuel, and air, not big enough exhaust)

Gaining horse power from an engine is a formula, before you go out and start modifying your car with brand name parts that dent your wallet. Be sure to know your receipe before you cookit up.

[img]graemlins/fluffy.gif[/img] <\\=== what a homo

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>I am sure we have many people on this board with the same problems who dont see gains in there car after mods that should gain. <hr></blockquote>

I'd have to guess that there's not very many of us...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Ok, if you are going to make your engine breathe better with a higher flow exhaust system and high flow intake, you are going to need to adjust your fuel and spark as well, <hr></blockquote>

Very true but the PCM takes care of this itself with intake and exhaust mods. Fuel trims will adjust based on the airflow into the engine (MAF sensor) and the oxygen in the exhaust (O2 sensors). Forced induction mods *may* require manual timing "interference" by the user but usually only under high boost/big nitrous shots.
    Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

Another thing is people think for example, that they have 100 hp. So they do some mods and the estimate that they have about 150. But what they don't remember is, there is a big difference between HP at the fly and Rear Wheel HP. This is why they get mad. It's still funny though. 86 HP. HAHA :D
      My Car: 1994 Camaro 3.4 V6 5-Speed<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/speedyman_2\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

not much information that's new to any of us.
        do a search, chances are it's been posted before ;)

now, I have to contain myself, can't let a flame fest go on hyea.
        2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
          by ssms5411
          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
          1 week ago
        • RPDRed6
          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
          by RPDRed6
          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
          3 weeks ago
        • ssms5411
          No start problem
          by ssms5411
          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X