News for 2002 Fbodies - Hypertech 160 Stat - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

News for 2002 Fbodies - Hypertech 160 Stat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News for 2002 Fbodies - Hypertech 160 Stat

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I, as a test subject, fully confirm the following on all 2002 Fbodies when a 160degF stat is used.

(((THIS DOES NOT APPLY TO 2001 AND PRIOR MODELS)))

1 - After several hundred miles the temperature gauge will die
    2 - The fans will turn on high when the temp gauge fails
    3 - The only fix is th reset the PCM using a Tech2

It just so happens mine failed more than once crossing the great nation - because of the 160 stat. Our cars cannot sense whether the thermostat is working properly or not, but in the 02's they set the lowest coolant temp limit higher and now a 160stat is "too cold" for the computers' settings. In order to remedy this issue I am now running a 180°F stat, whee go GM.

Now before all you "But 160degrees IS too cold" people go an rant me out, I will follow that while crossing the desert at 87mph in 110degF heat with a 163degF watertemp I got right about 37mpg!!! When the a$$hole at the dealer I took it to about the condition (since my 2000 Firebird didnt do this) replaced my stat with a 195 and handed me back my 160 I immediately dropped to 27mpg doing the same speed - ARGH! The 180deg stat I installed the next morning brought me back to around 32... farg.

In conclusion I say we need a fix for this - does hypertech make a programmer for the 02? I sure hope its out because I'm tired of running this 180.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

The 160 problem may not apply to 2001, but it DOES to mine and I have a very early 2001. Even Hypertech retuning does,'t change the 160 problem. I experienced exactly the same problem as you state in 1 and 2, except that I experience the condition in under 40 miles.
    2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

That's good to know. I was debating putting in the 160deg. stat, but now I don't think I will.

BTW- The technical database on this board states that the 00' and newer come with a 180 deg stat. Why did your dealer put in a 195 deg ?
      2002 Camaro V6, M5, Black, T-tops, Y87, Monsoon, and Leather!<br />**Current Mods** : Wisper Lid, Hurst Billet Shifter, Free CAI.

Comment

Yes they do! i have a 2001 and it sucks too! I got a 180, and its just as good. it kills gas mileage too.. they are a waste of money!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eds02v6:
          [QB]That's good to know. I was debating putting in the 160deg. stat, but now I don't think I will.

BTW- The technical database on this board states that the 00' and newer come with a 180 deg stat. QB]<hr></blockquote>

The tech database made a mistake. I'm surprised it haven't been corrected yet. It's in the manual. The LS1s have 180 stats. The V6s have 195, at least for the 2000 cars. When I took my stat out, it has 195 stamped on it.

[ May 30, 2002: Message edited by: shortdog273 ]</p>
          <b>99 Camaro Z28 A4</b><br />R.I.P. 00 Firebird 3.8<br />14.89 @ 90, 2.03 60\'

Comment

if I get the hypertech programmer, I'm gonna get their 160 thremostat w/ it and see what's up. I doubt they'd sell the HPP3 w/ a thermostat that will **** up the car.
            2001 Arctic White Firebird<br />T-Tops, 3.42 rear gear stock<br />Mods:K&N Air Filter,Whisper Air Induction Lid, maf screen removed, raised air box, Kumho Ecsta 712 255-50-ZR16 tires, BMR stb<br />Mods not installed yet: FTRA, SLP Lsd/Differential cover<br />Near Future Mods: HPP3, GMMG 3\" Exhaust , 1LE Swaybars, Transgo Shift Kit, MSD-DIS-4 w/ Accel Coil-Packs, Turquoise Blue Neon Underbody Kit, BMR Adj. LCA\'s, G2 Sfc\'s & V-braces, Pacesetter headers

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Shortdog.
              2002 Camaro V6, M5, Black, T-tops, Y87, Monsoon, and Leather!<br />**Current Mods** : Wisper Lid, Hurst Billet Shifter, Free CAI.

Comment

Yeah so I hope I saved you people $10-20 with this news [img]smile.gif[/img] - even though I don't like running the 180 myself it is *cheaper*

And yes, 195 is stock in the newer ones.
                2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

yes, the stupid manual is wrong. i have a '99 and the stock at 195. other people swore it was 180 and that i didnt know to read the temp gauge.

180 isnt completely useless. i dont feel more power but the oil pressure no longer flucuates at idle on hot days.

does anyone else make a 160 tstat besides hyperstat? possibly they are underrating the tstat and its closer to 165 or so. or does someone make a 170?

Comment

just b/c the temp gauge shows 180 or whatever, ive heard that with a 160 degree stat the temp gauge will give out numbers that are higher than actuall
                    Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>just b/c the temp gauge shows 180 or whatever, ive heard that with a 160 degree stat the temp gauge will give out numbers that are higher than actuall <hr></blockquote>

Very true, I have a 160 thermo and my temp gauge shows an operating temp of 185 while in motion.

Comment

Mine is 155 on autotap and 170s on the temp gauge. GM is just not a quality company.

Comment

here's the link i was thinking about.

custom thermostat

while the ls1's design seems somewhat unique, i believe you could do something similar. it would difficult to lengthen the pin so you cant make a 180 into a 170. but, you could shorten the plunger in a 160 and make it open a little later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X