fuel guage question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel guage question

i just got a 97 firebird, and it seems strange how the needle on the fuel guage always moves up and down (i know its normal) when do you get a true reading, when you're no moving?

i really hate that too, I specially hate it when my tank is almost on empty and i brake hard or make a hard turn, the needle goes way below the empty tag and it tricks me. Just wait till you hit a stop light , wait for about 5 secs and the needle should settle, thats the only way i've gotten an accurate reading. I am just wondering, is there any way to correct this?? or are all firebirds like this?
    2005 Chevrolet Corvette C6 <br />M6, Magnaflow\'s 14336<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/v6purplebird\" target=\"_blank\">C6 Pics</a><br /><br />Old car:<br />1996 Firebird A4<br />SLP Cold Air Intake<br />Magnaflow Catback Exhaust<br />Magnaflow Catalytic Converter<br /><br />George Mason University<br />CEIE Major<br />Pi Kappa Alpha<br /><br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/nsolano\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird Pics </a>

Comment

Just be glad that yours works at all. Ever since I bought my Camaro (3 years ago), mine has always read between full and 3/4 of a tank. My solution . . . fill it up every 300 miles, and it'll never run out ;) . Regardless, if anyone knows how to fix this or otherwise make the guage more accurate, I'm open to suggestions.
      Chris Johnson<br />\'06 Cobalt SS/SC<br />\'95 Camaro - SOLD

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by cmj917-95cmo:
        Just be glad that yours works at all. Ever since I bought my Camaro (3 years ago), mine has always read between full and 3/4 of a tank. My solution . . . fill it up every 300 miles, and it'll never run out ;) . Regardless, if anyone knows how to fix this or otherwise make the guage more accurate, I'm open to suggestions.<hr></blockquote>
        Ditto. :mad:

Domestic Violence had this problem and it just went away on it's own. The guy at Napa told me he's seen it before and the only way to get rid of it is to replace the fuel pump. :mad: :mad: [img]graemlins/thumbsdown.gif[/img]
        \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Just be glad that yours works at all. Ever since I bought my Camaro (3 years ago), mine has always read between full and 3/4 of a tank. My solution . . . fill it up every 300 miles, and it'll never run out . Regardless, if anyone knows how to fix this or otherwise make the guage more accurate, I'm open to suggestions. <hr></blockquote>

Why don't you check the fuel sender assembly?
          There is something which floats on the fuel and let the guage know how much fuel is left. That might have been stuck, and does not go down.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: 96_WhiteBird_Manual ]</p>
          - Chris<p>1996 Arctic White Firebird 3.8L V6 5-speed manual<br />K&N Air & Oil filter<br />Kumho 245/50 ZR16<br />Denso Iridium plugs & Tylor 8mm wires<br />Mobil1 10W30 SuperSyn<br />Momo Competition Steering Wheel & Shift knob<br />Pioneer CD player w/ 10 speakers<br />AutoOptiks headlight conversion w/ H4 Xenon HID lights<p>and many new parts thanks to many repairs. :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 96_WhiteBird_Manual:

Why don't you check the fuel sender assembly?
            There is something which floats on the fuel and let the guage know how much fuel is left. That might have been stuck, and does not go down.

[ August 01, 2002: Message edited by: 96_WhiteBird_Manual ]
            <hr></blockquote>Because it's on the fuel pump which is located on top of the fuel tank. To access the fuel pump, you need to drop your driveshaft, axle, rear exhaust section, then the fuel tank. I can think of a better way to waste an entire weekend. Might as well replace if you're even considering looking at it.
            \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X