tire deflated... but no hissing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire deflated... but no hissing

i cant figure it out. i get my tires to about 45 psi, then about 2 hours later its down to 40 psi. overnight it went all the way flat. i aired it all the way up again and soaked it in water and heard nothing. they are realatively new tires... havent even had em for a year. i would take it to the shop except i have the lugs that take a key and guess what, i lost the key 2 weeks ago. already sent for a new one, but, WHERE COULD IT BE LEAKING FROM?
    2001 camaro v6 red convertable<br /> ggotta go fast... I GGOTTTA GO FFAST! CCANT HEELP MMMYYSSELLLF<br />pics:<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000</a>

could be leaking from the valve stem?

You dont need a key to get them off,,take it to any tire shop and they will break off the locks like for 10 bux
    My car has GPS trackin\',traffic alert,its own phone #,PS2,screens. And What da H3ll,When I Turn da key it says \"You\'ve got mail\"..... <br />I swear and promise.. I\'ve had more cars then Charlie Thomas.. bounces in a Monte\' that hopped.. Pimped old skoo Blazer on Chopz, Today Its a Camaro at all da plya spots.

Comment

Get yourself a spray-bottle, and fill it up with water and a few drops of dishwashing detergent. Spray the whole tire down, and look for the bubbles :D Easy [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

Take it to a Rinky dink tier shop, tell them you want it plugged cause u think u hit a nail they will find out whats wrong for fre 90% of the time
        NEW <br />Camaro 00<br />Red<br />3.8 NO MODS YET <p>gone!<br />Camaro 01 <br />Black<br />a4 3.42 <br />Flowmaster TYPE 40<br />Free Ram Air<br />Modfied Lid

Comment

ok, inflated the tire for like the 4th time, and am tracking the progressive deflation. im losing about 1psi. every 15 minutes. ive sprayed the valve stem, tire seam (right around the rim), and tread with water and still nothing. i think i will have to take it to a shop. im just worred that ill have to buy another tire.
          2001 camaro v6 red convertable<br /> ggotta go fast... I GGOTTTA GO FFAST! CCANT HEELP MMMYYSSELLLF<br />pics:<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/darkthoughts5000</a>

Comment

Just a hunch. I had a similar problem not too long ago. I turned out to be a bad tire bead. The weight of the car on the tire or the position of the tire caused it to flex and the rim and allowed the air to escape. The only way to fix this, I'm afraid, is to have them remove the wheel and break the tire down. Then goop it up real good around the bead and re-inflate it. If it happens again, You'll have to either replace the tire or put a tube in it.
            LITG8TR<p><br />2001 Arctic White V6 Firebird Convertible<br />Whisper Lid<br />K&N Filtercharger<br />Dynomasters<br />Dual Exhausts<br />Tornado Fuel Saver<br />Free Ram Air Mod<br />BMR STB

Comment

Also check the entire rim. It's not uncommon for wheels to leak through the rim, even to the center areas. When diagnosing a leak at the garage, especially on aluminum rims, if the leak was not found on the tire we checked the rim as well. Also as stupid as this sounds make sure the tire is fully inflated. You would not believe the number of "baffled" customers I've seen who tried to self diagnose their tires while flat. Also make sure to check not only the valve stem, but take the cap off and check the core (inside) as well. Could be as simple as a loose core.

Dishwashing soap and water in a sray bottle works well for finding this kind of problem.

EDIT: I'm curious for a Camaro V6 why you need 45 PSI in your tires.... that seems like an excessive amount of pressure unless I'm missing something. I noticed from your sig. you had different rims and tires than stock, but I don't think that would make that much of a difference. Just FYI, the sidewall PSI tells you how much the tire can reasonably withstand. However, it is not an operating pressure applicable to all vehicles that it is installed on. Different weights facilitate different PSI for efficient tread wear. Refer to the sticker on the door and double check with the tire manufacturer, but 45 seems a bit high.

[ September 14, 2003: Message edited by: fenderman ]</p>

Comment

im running 235/55/16 and the recommended for those is 40psi so 45 is kinda high but not really.

Comment

GM's recommendation for 235/55R16 is 30psi...

The maximum psi is dependent on the tire manufacturer.

[ September 15, 2003: Message edited by: r&ksport ]</p>
                  --Traded In--<br />1998 Navy Blue Metallic Camaro (RS)<br />3.8L V6 w/4L60E Auto<br />Sport Appearance Package<br />T-Tops - Loaded<br />_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _ <br /><br />--New--<br />2003 Victory Red S10 Xtreme w/Silver Stripes<br />2.2 L4 w/MW2 5 Speed Manual<br />LS Package

Comment

ok, found the leak... it was a nail towards the rear of my rim. still dont know why i didnt hear hissing, but when i washed my car, i took off my wheel and pured the soapy water from the bucket all over the tire. no hissing, but it made some pretty good size bubbles! so im takin it to get repaired hopefully tomorrow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X