Fuel Discrepency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
    I will never run less than 88 again, and I won't run other than Chevron if I have a choice.<hr></blockquote>

Well. I was told Mobil and Amoco were the best gas to buy, exxon the worst. say what you will to that.

On a separate note, from my brother driving the 91 3.1L up from Florida, it was getting about 460 miles to a little bit less than a full tank, meaning just about 30 miles to the gallon (basically nonstop 85 mph).. I sat down and figured it out. If it was running medium grade (89 oct) then it would have cost more in fuel to reach the destination. By running 87, my brother got an extra 40 miles or so out of the gas in respect to the price of medium and the few extra miles per gallon it provides. Im not sure if i explained that right... But anyway, as long as the engine doesnt ping/knock wouldnt it make sense to run the lower 87?
    AIM: ChevyGuy1022<br />Email:ChevyGuy1022@swfla.rr.com<p>\'91 Camaro RS<br />K&N Filtered CCAI<br />Bosch Plat 4+ plugs

Comment

You also need to rember that our cars have knock sensors on them. If you are running 87 octane and your sensors dectect the pinging it will retard the timing making the pinging stop but it will also cause you to lose power. Using a higher octane gas lets the computer take full advantage of the timing for optimal performance. Higher octane fuel is usually known to burn cleaner also. I usually fill up at chevron. If you would like to test the difference between two different octane ratings be sure to run you car with it for a couple of weeks so the old fuel is out and the computer has time to adjust.
      2002 camaro SS 6 speed, black, with black leather: Whisper lid/filter<br /> 98 silver camaro v6 a4(sold)<br />few mods

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X