Someone tell me what these codes mean please - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Someone tell me what these codes mean please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone tell me what these codes mean please

Miami sucks because the stores around here aren't allowed to come and pull the codes when your check engine light comes on. It was almost impossible to even find a repair shop with the scan tool, several of them told me disgruntled employees stole them when they quit. My friend brought over an Autotap last night, and we pulled four codes off the car. We cleared them, and several popped right back up again. They're all voltage problems. I don't know the full history of this car, but I can verify anything you may ask. Anyways, the codes are:

h p0118 ect sensor circuit - high voltage
    h p1115 ect sensor circuit intermittent high voltage
    h p1406 egr valve pintle position circuit high voltage
    h p1641 mil control circuit high voltage

I have a Hayne's manual, but I couldn't find reference to an ect sensor, so I'd appreciate if anyone could tell me what that is.

The car has been lowered, has a flowmaster muffler, and a K&N filter. There may be other mods that I don't know about. I made the mistake of taking three other people in the car last week, and did scrape bottom a little going over an oversized speed bump at a crawl speed. I don't know if any of the sensors or wires on the bottom could have been damaged, but I can check anything suggested.
    1997 Mystic Teal Firebird w/ T-tops<br />3800 II V6 A4<br />Custom dual exhaust, modified airbox, K&N filter, ground effects, more to come...

Go to this site, It is the GM Service Manual.
    You can type in a code and it will give you a description and a "how to" in order to fix it.

http://www.thenebula.com:9001/servlets/Home

Here is an example of what it will tell you

DTC P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage

Circuit Description
    The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor mounted in the engine coolant stream. The PCM applies a voltage (about 5.0 volts) through a pull up resistor to the ECT signal circuit. When the engine coolant is cold, the sensor (thermistor) resistance is high, therefore the PCM will measure a high signal voltage. As the engine coolant warms, the sensor resistance becomes less, and the ECT signal voltage measured at the PCM drops. With a fully warmed up engine, the ECT signal voltage should measure about 1.5 to 2.0 volts. DTC P0118 will set when the PCM detects an excessively high signal voltage on the engine coolant temperature sensor signal circuit.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    Engine run time longer than 3 seconds
    The ECT sensor signal indicates an engine coolant temperature less than -38°C (-36°F).
    Above condition present for up to 1 minute
    Action Taken When the DTC Sets
    The PCM will illuminate the MIL during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
    The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame and Fail Records data.
    Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
    The PCM will turn the MIL OFF during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has been run and passed.
    The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
    The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear Information function or by disconnecting the PCM battery feed.
    Diagnostic Aids
    Check for the following conditions:

Poor connection at the PCM - Inspect harness connectors for the following conditions:
    Backed out terminals.
    Improper mating.
    Broken locks.
    Improperly formed or damaged terminals.
    Poor terminal to wire connection.
    Damaged harness. Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness appears to be OK, observe the ECT display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the ECT sensor. A change in the ECT display will indicate the location of the malfunction.
    Skewed or mis-scaled ECT Sensor. Refer to Temperature vs Resistance table.
    If DTC P0118 cannot be duplicated, the information included in the Fail Records data can be useful in determining vehicle mileage since the DTC was last set. If it is determined that the DTC occurs intermittently, performing the DTC P1115 Diagnostic Chart may isolate the cause of the malfunction.

Test Description
    The number(s) below refer to the Step number(s) on the Diagnostic Chart:

Verifies that the fault is present.

If DTC P0118 can be repeated only by duplicating the Fail Records conditions, refer to Temperature vs Resistance . The table may be used to test the ECT sensor at various temperatures to evaluate the possibility of a shifted sensor that may be shorted above or below a certain temperature. If this is the case, replace the ECT sensor. If the ECT sensor appears to be OK, the fault is intermittent; refer to Diagnostic Aids.

This vehicle is equipped with a PCM which utilizes an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM). When the PCM is being replaced, the new PCM must be programmed.

Step
    Action
    Value(s)
    Yes
    No

Was the Powertrain On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check performed?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    Go to the Powertrain On Board Diagnostic (OBD) System Check

Turn ON the ignition switch, observe the Eng. Cool. Temp. display on the scan tool Eng 1 data list.

Is Eng. Cool. Temp. display less than the specified value?
    -38°C (-36°F)
    Go to Step 4
    Go to Step 3

Turn ON the ignition switch.
    Review and record scan tool Fail Records data.
    Operate the vehicle within Fail Records conditions as noted.
    Using a scan tool, monitor Specific DTC info for DTC P0118.
    Does the scan tool indicate DTC P0118 failed?
    --
    Go to Step 4
    Refer to Diagnostic Aids

Turn OFF the ignition switch.
    Disconnect the PCM and the ECT harness connectors
    Turn ON the ignition switch.
    Check the ECT sensor signal circuit for a short to voltage. If a problem is found, repair as necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Electrical Diagnosis.
    Was a problem found?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    Go to Step 5

Reconnect the PCM.
    Jumper the ECT signal circuit and the sensor ground circuit together at the ECT sensor harness connector
    Observe ECT displayed on the scan tool.
    Is ECT at the specified value?
    140°C (284°F)
    Go to Step 7
    Go to Step 6

Jumper the ECT signal circuit at the ECT sensor harness connector to chassis ground.
    Observe the Eng. Cool. Temp. display on the scan tool.
    Is Eng. Cool. Temp. at the specified value?
    140°C (284°F)
    Go to Step 8
    Go to Step 9

Check for poor connections at the ECT sensor and replace terminals if necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Electrical Diagnosis.

Did any terminals require replacement?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    Go to Step 11

Disconnect the PCM.
    Check the ECT sensor ground circuit for an open.
    If the ECT sensor ground circuit is open, repair it as necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Electrical Diagnosis.
    Was the ECT sensor ground circuit open?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    Go to Step 10

Disconnect the PCM.
    Check the ECT signal circuit for an open.
    If the ECT sensor signal circuit is open, repair it as necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Electrical Diagnosis.
    Was the ECT signal circuit open?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    Go to Step 10

Check for a poor sensor ground or ECT signal circuit terminal connection at the PCM and replace terminal(s) if necessary. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Electrical Diagnosis.

Did any of the terminals need to be replaced?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    Go to Step 13

Replace the ECT sensor. Refer to Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor Replacement

Is the action complete?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    --

Replace the PCM.

Important
    The replacement PCM must be programmed. Refer to PCM Replacement/Programming

Is the action complete?
    --
    Go to Step 13
    --

Review and record scan tool Fail Records data.
    Clear DTCs
    Operate the vehicle within Fail Records conditions as noted.
    Using a scan tool, monitor Specific DTC info for DTC P0118.
    Does the scan tool indicate DTC P0118 failed?
    --
    Go to Step 2
    System OK
    Cardomain

Comment

that site didn't work for me. you sure it's correct?

Comment

Originally posted by white00camaro:
        that site didn't work for me. you sure it's correct?
        That's because it's a year old. [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
          Good to see the site is back up
          by 2.8 Bird
          So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
          5 hours ago
        • FirebirdGT
          New Site Hosting Issues
          by FirebirdGT
          All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
          1 week ago
        • LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X