Engine Rattling when i floored it! and something else.... - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Rattling when i floored it! and something else....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rattling when i floored it! and something else....

i was late to class this morning and i floored it on to the highway to get infront of a car and my engine started ratteling really really loudly.

then i had to wait at a light and just sitting there everyonce in a while you'd hear like a 'clunk' or a 'clank'

HELP!! does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with my baby?
    btw, sometime i've noticed a bit of hesitation and stuttering, but not often...

its a 98 and only have 34,500 miles...
    <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Did you put the right octane in there?
    Are you getting any codes yet?

Hilton's says it might be:
    Ignition timing
    Fuel injection
    Improper or damaged spark plugs or wires
    Faulty emissions system component or sensor
    Vacuum leak

[ September 18, 2003: Message edited by: ka50 ]</p>

Comment

turn the car on and listen in the engine compartment and under the car.

hear any exhaust leaks?

have someone give it some gas and listen for the noise while you are outside.

Comment

hmm... how would it be the exhaust? i don't understnad...

but i was thinking i might need new plugs/wires... so i wonder if thats it
        <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

clunk and clank is different than a rattle.

rattle could be a heat sheild.

clunks and clanks are mechanical problems.
          Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Magnus:
            clunk and clank is different than a rattle.

rattle could be a heat sheild.

clunks and clanks are mechanical problems.
            <hr></blockquote>

yup, I would say you spun a bearing. that would cause vibrations, power loss, and clucks and clanks. If your car is still under warrenty take it in. If it is a spun main bearing an engin rebuild is needed. Can you get a sound or video clip of your car for us?
            White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

wt f is aspun bearing

Comment

http://www.thenebula.com:9001/servle...l% 20=Firebird

url fixed ;)

edit: Ok, I f-ed it up LOL. Can you repost it? sorry [img]redface.gif[/img]

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: bu-bye ]

[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
                Cardomain

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuprSpdDB7:
                  wt f is aspun bearing<hr></blockquote>

the main bearing/s are shims of metal that go between the crank shaft and the piston rod. What it does is give a tight fit to the crank shaft and the piston rod so things run smooth. There are two per piston rod. When you spin a bearing, one/two of those metal shims is pushed out of allignment or completely pushed out. This causes the once tight fit to loosen up which could make a knocking sound and throw off everything in the engine such as timing which inturn causes loss of power. It could just be the bolts need a little torque down. I would really like to hear at clip of your car. A spun bearing is easy to catch if you know the sound. If it is a spun bearing, the more you drive the more damage it will do to your engine. Some people drive for a year with this problem and some only make it a couple days. Have a shop listen to it.
                  White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

its tough to diagnose the problem going off of "clunk" and "clank".

i thought you may have broken an exhaust hanger, clamp, or something possibly.

if you were getting a lot of backfiring, and you had an exhaust leak, you would lose a lot of power.

could be a spun bearing too. thats $$$$ to fix for the labor.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:

the main bearing/s are shims of metal that go between the crank shaft and the piston rod.
                      <hr></blockquote>

Excuse me for stepping in here, but aren't the main bearings the ones that go between the block and crankshaft surfaces? The bearings that go between the crank and rod surfaces have always been referred to as rod bearings around me.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by fenderman:

Excuse me for stepping in here, but aren't the main bearings the ones that go between the block and crankshaft surfaces? The bearings that go between the crank and rod surfaces have always been referred to as rod bearings around me.
                        <hr></blockquote>

Yes, thank you. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] hahaha

I thought what I was saying sounded a little funny. Its been so ling since I have worked on an engine. It is called a rod bearing [img]redface.gif[/img]

Comment

I have a rattle, but its my headers. The tubular manifold broke inside when a limb wrapped around my drive shaft and beat the living crap out of my exhaust, breaking a weld or the clamp inside holding it. When i floor it, or when I ride around cruising about 25-35 and the car down or up shifts you can hear a rattle. It sounds as if its coming from under my seat. I plan on get a set of pacesetters, but I have to get some other stuff first. I know I have a small manifold leak to, because the last time I seafoamed my car, I saw smoke coming from under the hood. Not a good thing, and I wonder how much HP I am loosing from it, but I will take care of it soon. Just havent decide if I want the coated or non coated, waiting to see more reviews on it first. Plus I want my Torque Converter first too.
                          !!!TOWN IDIOT!!!

Comment

was your a/c compressor running? It happened to me before in my old car, making a lot of tapping noises and one day it just seized up and the belt kept running and I smelled it and when I opened the hood,,,SNAP,.,. the belt snapped.
                            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Did it clank when you got on it?? Like something was hitting something? Maybe you broke a engine mount?
                              <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X