autotap- dos or windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autotap- dos or windows?

i read in an earlier post that there was a problem with the autotap in windows mode but it never said what? so what is everybody using dos or windows? whichis better obdII or autotap? is anyone here running obdII?
    98 camaro 3.8 (THE PUNISHER)<p>JET STAGE II/B&M SHIFT PLUS/TAYLOR WIRES/SLP LOUDMOUTH w-3\" s- pipe/SLP CAI/SS MESH GRILLE/160 STAT/DERALE OIL COOLER<br />FLEXALITE TRANS COOLER/ 3.42-ZEXEL-TORSEN/KONIG MONSOON & KUHMO TIRES/MANUAL FAN SWITCH/1le sway bars & poly/KYB AGX SHOCKS/H&R SPRINGS/LS1 ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT/rk sport headers<p>WAITING FOR INSTALL:ssm heads,cam,3 angle valves/trans go shift kit

IN GENERAL: DOS can accept and respond to serial and parallel data much faster than most of the windows environments. (Win2K built on NT is pretty fast)

I've never used the software of which you speak, but if there is any kind of back/forth communication (or even one-way) I would suggest using whatever DOS option there might be.

P.S. don't run DOS on windows! That kinda defeats the whole purpose... reboot in DOS mode (if it's an option) otherwise, you'll have to install it.

-Brian
    Maroon 1995 Camaro<br />No mods yet...<br />Lucky to have found this site!

Comment

DOS runs windows [img]smile.gif[/img]

every comp comes with dos, but they are setup to work with windows [img]smile.gif[/img] you can run DOS while running windows by doing this: (ok, what OS you have now? 98? ME? XP?)

Comment

ehh

not every version of windows is a shell

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by seal:
          DOS runs windows [img]smile.gif[/img]

every comp comes with dos, but they are setup to work with windows [img]smile.gif[/img] you can run DOS while running windows by doing this: (ok, what OS you have now? 98? ME? XP?)
          <hr></blockquote>

win2k has no dos and you can't run dos on it.

Comment

Win NT, Win 2k, and Win XP are all NT based and have no dos whatsoever.

I would not trust windows 95/98/ME in anything "mission critical", and I would consider autotap just that. Last thing I need is to have it crash going down the track on a busy night an me lose an opportunity to get some nfo.

So, I would use a WinNT based as my first choice (more flexible if I want to do other things w/ the computer in my car), DOS as my second, and I wouldn't even consider Win 9x.
            2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

what is the thing that runs the comp when there is no windows? [img]smile.gif[/img] and command prompt does look like DOS [img]tongue.gif[/img] i think it just has a fancy name...

Comment

THis is not DOS vs WINDOWS.. this is ADVANCED TECH.

I use both. I use windows autotap to check DTC's so I can get the full description. I use DOS autotap to log.

www.autotap.com for updates.

I'm also moving this to general tech as its a pretty basic question.
                Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

ok now that the great debate on windows is over can anyone answer my original questions?

what is wrong with running autotap on windows?

which is better obdII or autotap?

is anyone running obdII?
                  98 camaro 3.8 (THE PUNISHER)<p>JET STAGE II/B&M SHIFT PLUS/TAYLOR WIRES/SLP LOUDMOUTH w-3\" s- pipe/SLP CAI/SS MESH GRILLE/160 STAT/DERALE OIL COOLER<br />FLEXALITE TRANS COOLER/ 3.42-ZEXEL-TORSEN/KONIG MONSOON & KUHMO TIRES/MANUAL FAN SWITCH/1le sway bars & poly/KYB AGX SHOCKS/H&R SPRINGS/LS1 ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT/rk sport headers<p>WAITING FOR INSTALL:ssm heads,cam,3 angle valves/trans go shift kit

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X