PCM? reset?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCM? reset?

in a reponse that someone had written they told the guy to reset his PCM... (the problem was hesitation at 50mph) i have the same problem.. how do u reset the PCM? and not to be made fun of or anything but WHAT IS the PCM?
    <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

PCM is the cars computer I guess you call it. It regulates certain things in your car. I don't know much about it though.

Whats wrong with your car? Is it just a slight hesitation around 50mph? Does it do it any other time? Does it hesitate when you try to accelerate?
    <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

Open the two fuse box covers underneath the hood. Look underneath the lids to find the two that are labeled w/ PCM in the name, pull those two and replace them in 30 minutes.

Comment

umm..k.

my car is hesitating ALL the time.. whenever i accelerate! it sux! i just replaced all my plugs and wires about a week ago! along with hesitation is doesn't shift properly (when it's supposed to) (i have an A4)
        <b>*§*Julian*§*</b><br />*~*~*~<br />2000 Grand Prix GTP -Daytona 500 Edition (only 2000 made) - Supercharged 3.8L V6<br /><br />1998 3.8L V6 A4 Firebird w/ W68 package, Y87, T-TOPS!<br /><br /><a href=\"http://myweb.usf.edu/~jadidona/index.html\" target=\"_blank\">MY SITE - CHECK IT!</a>

Comment

by resetting the PCM, will this make the car run better? like say i reset the computer, then go to drive it and drive the hell out of it, will it reprogram itself to run with better performance?
          96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

Resetting the PCM resets codes and retrains for new parts. It probably won't correct a problem. It sounds a little like a miss. Did those plug wires go back on correctly? Any SES light?
            \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Well you have a 96 so your PCM fuses are in the fuse box on the side as you open the drivers door but don't think a reset will help you, sounds like a bad plug wire, plugs or the most common coil pack
              97 Red Firebird<br />Best N/A 1/4: 13.98<br />Best N/A MPH: 96.13<br />Best Nitrous 1/4: 12.49<br />Best Nitrous MPH: 108.53<p>2001 Pewter Camaro SS <br />GTP Stage II Heads, Pig Cam, Holley Intake, SLP Headers, SLP Lid, Vigalante 3600 Stall Converter, MagnaFlow Cat Back Exhaust, Duel Electric Cut-Outs<br />11.26@121

Comment

HOW MUCh is a coil pack? how hard to replace? is it that think that the plugs pluged into on the top of the engine? and i am going to check the 4th sparkplug because i got an SES light and the code said "misfire cylindar 4" so.....

Comment

Just to post the correct PCM reseting procedure here it is.

If you have it where your PCM fuses are under the hood like mine, turn on the ignition but not with the car running, pull the PCM BAT fuse first and then the PCM IGN fuse. Turn off the ignition and replace the two fuses. Then start the car and your PCM should be cleared. I've gotten quite efficent at this since my stupid o2 sim isn't working for me.

I believe it's the same procedure to do this if your PCM fuses are on the drivers side panel.

I don't think this is your problem but it won't hurt anything to try it.
                  1997 Nassau Blue Vette<br />1989 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 (lifted with 31\" tires)<br />2000 V6 Camaro, loud, cammed 210rwhp *SOLD*

Comment

pcm = powertrain control module. controls ignition and fuel delivery to your engine, as well as transmission operation and emissions components.

if you're getting code p0304 and the plug and wire are good, try swapping with another coil and see if the misfire moves. if so replace faulty coil. if not diagnose module circuits. also make sure terminals from module to coil are clean.

this may not be an ignition problem though. most likely it is a bad coil but it could also be many other things like an intake manifold leak in the # 4 runner could cause a lean miss as well. ignition parts per se are not always the cause of misfires or even rough engine operation.
                    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

those would be a 50 Amp and a 15 Amp or a 50 Amp and a 10 Amp? Thanks
                      Zaino; FireBatCave Decals; Red Inside<br /><br />K&N Filter & Lid; Removed MAF screen; FRA; Raised Air Box; 180°F Stat; BMR STB; 3\" Catco & S-pipe; Borla Cat-Back; O2 Sim; HPPIII; NGK TR55s; Taylor 8mm wires<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/cbass300</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                        by ssms5411
                        Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                        1 week ago
                      • RPDRed6
                        For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                        by RPDRed6
                        Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                        3 weeks ago
                      • ssms5411
                        No start problem
                        by ssms5411
                        So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X