I'm a rookie - can you help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a rookie - can you help?

Hey there - I'm a rookie at this stuff. Bought me my dream car - - 95 Camaro Black - t-tops - low miles - love it. But it has a 3.4 - and not a particularly strong one, I fear. It seems to go
    flat after 3500- 4000 rpm's. No fun. Any ideas on making it a little better? I am aware of the advantages of 3.8 and 8 cyls, (no jokes please)but this is what I got and the mileage (21+)isn't too bad either. I'd like a little more performance - any ideas?

Would a chip help? How many HP?

Thanks Guys.
    \'95 Camaro 3.4 Low miles!<br />T-tops, Just Black.

This will probably get moved to general tech.

Start with a "search" feature up top
    My car used to do the same thing up top end!
    Intake and Exhaust is the general consensus where to start!

Comment

Intake, Full exhaust (headers, cat, cat-back), shifter (if 5spd), shift kit (if auto), chip, better tires, aluminum driveshaft, poly urethane trans mount.

That should give you a good start [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chris
      <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

how much you willing to spend? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SilverTAWS6:
          Intake, Full exhaust (headers, cat, cat-back), shifter (if 5spd), shift kit (if auto), chip, better tires, aluminum driveshaft, poly urethane trans mount.

That should give you a good start [img]smile.gif[/img]

Chris
          <hr></blockquote>

I think where I'd start (I understand that I could probably go on forever) is the chip, and exhaust. Do you have brand name suggestions? Please remember I have a 3.4. Any ideas how much HP each might contribute?

I already started getting to breath better with a K&N air filter.

Whoever originally ordered this made it appear like a Z-28 including wheels and tires. It is so "underpowered" it can't even make them squeek. But this turns out to be a blessing when cornering. They don't squeek there either. That is more the source of joy to me than straight line exceleration.

Thanks for your Camaro enthusiasm. I plan on being an active participant, here.
          D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by seal:
            how much you willing to spend? [img]tongue.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

Money is limited right now. I know a 3.4 will never be a bear. But I just want to at least get this one aspirated correctly. It seems to accelerate OK then it just goes flat. I don't think that's right. I started off with a K & N. The filter that was in the car when I bought it was filthy. It helped but only marginally.

Do the exhausts you guys recommend make it very lout. It has a nice sound now, but I don't want to go roaring around - heck - I'm 51 now. And c'mon - it's only a baby six. I've been asked to drag twice already. But a little more throaty would be nice.

Comment

As far as engine performance goes, I would first go with the general mods of intake/exhaust. That helps with your "going flat" problem. Our 3.4's weakest point is the whole intake system itself. SSM is working on a power pack for the 3.4 that I know of~ Tom posts regularly on here and he could fill you in on the details. I'd say with a port and polish/ 3angle valve job and comp cam you'd have a healthy running 3.4! It still won't be a "bear" but I'd imagine a quite respectable 6. I'm going for a 3.8 project this summer so I might just be selling off some of my goodies in my sig below soon....
              1994 Camaro 3.4L M5 R.I.P.<br />You know what they say- a small engine means big... errr... e/t\'s<br /><a href=\"http://www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident\" target=\"_blank\">www.pbase.com/rrj72/the_accident</a><p>replaced with: red 97 A4 vert (my brothers as soon as i find my REAL replacement)<p>soon to come: 1969 RS/SS<p>\"All you need are the esentials: scented candles, massage oil, and Berry White write that down.\" -Van Wilder

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by C.Palmer:
                As far as engine performance goes, I would first go with the general mods of intake/exhaust. That helps with your "going flat" problem. Our 3.4's weakest point is the whole intake system itself. SSM is working on a power pack for the 3.4 that I know of~ Tom posts regularly on here and he could fill you in on the details. I'd say with a port and polish/ 3angle valve job and comp cam you'd have a healthy running 3.4! It still won't be a "bear" but I'd imagine a quite respectable 6. I'm going for a 3.8 project this summer so I might just be selling off some of my goodies in my sig below soon....<hr></blockquote>

Let me know about your selling some of your "good stuff". I'd appreciate it. like what might you be getting rid of?

Comment

Nitrous. That will definately keep it from falling on its face.
                  2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John D.:
                    Nitrous. That will definately keep it from falling on its face.<hr></blockquote>

Sounds great in theory. But that little 3.4 would have a heart attack. It needs first things first.

Thanks for the post, anyhow. ;)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bob P.:

Let me know about your selling some of your "good stuff". I'd appreciate it. like what might you be getting rid of?
                      <hr></blockquote>

Could you let me know what a power pack does? And hoe much HP a chip contributes?

Comment

can't tell how much it does really since noone has one yet ona 3.4L

look at my website for ideas on mods.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X