160 thermo at jegs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 160 thermo at jegs?

I know I know this is getting old, but I want to order a 160 thermo while i'm ordering my stuff at Jegs right now. They have the HyperTech Power Stat Low Temp Thermo but not for the 3.8L Camaro, they have it for the 5.7L Camaro, will that work? The one from slp says for 97+. Can I not order a thermo from Jegs? Or will the 5.7L one work fine?

Ted

you dont need a special thermostat . go to your local auto parts store and pay half the price you would for a fancy thermo that does the same thing . and im not sure about 4th gens (im a thirdgen guy) but the stock thermostat in a typical tpi motor is 195 degrees , in most cases (not all for some reason) the ecm flips out because the motor runs too cool and stays in closed loop . could this be a problem for a v6 4th gen ??? just trying to help [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ April 16, 2002: Message edited by: jeff-87z ]</p>
    1987 z28 . lg4 305 . edelbrock performer intake , 600 cfm performer carb , all smog equip gone . gutted cat . slp headers with y/pipe and cat back , mild street cam . pocket ported heads<p>14.1@97 mph w/2.1 60\' .

Comment

ive had the thermostat for months with out haveing any closed loop problems as for what kind you should get look at the Hypertech PowerStat - this part number is 1009 and you can get it for under $20. It's listed as only fitting the 96-98 model years but it works fine on any 3.8 from 95-02.

good luck
      Street Lethal Performance<br />2000 Black Firebird Y87<br />3.42\'s, Torsen Limited Slip, 160 powerstat,<br />Manual Fan Switch, Cutout exhaust, Whisper Ram Air CAI,<br />K&N filter, Zex spark plugs, MSD plug wires, MAF screen removed.<p>AIM: FIREBIRDRUMBLE00<br /><a href=\"http://www.streetlethalperformance.com/profiles/gazmentselman/gazmentselman.html\" target=\"_blank\">Street Lethal Performance Profile</a>

Comment

As long as its a 44mm GM stat it will work, but the hypertech unit is a very reliable thermostat.

I would buy it from thunderracing.
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
        Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

yeah i had no idea if it would cause chaos in the computer or not [img]smile.gif[/img] figured it would be something to look at though . but if ya want a better thermo than whats in there go for the hypertech unit , but i never had any problems with my delco [img]redface.gif[/img] then again , i have a 1987 non cc carbed motor :D
          1987 z28 . lg4 305 . edelbrock performer intake , 600 cfm performer carb , all smog equip gone . gutted cat . slp headers with y/pipe and cat back , mild street cam . pocket ported heads<p>14.1@97 mph w/2.1 60\' .

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X