bad starter???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad starter???

today going to work, my car was fine..on the way home it felt very sluggish, for example, i was doing like 40 or so and i hammered it and i barely moved.....i went to buy food for 20 min. got back in the car and the damn thing wouldnt start??? my battery had juice, but nothing would turn over! just heard loud clicking from what sounded like underneath the engine.?? is it the starter? if so how hard is it to change and how quick can i do it? thanxs guys :mad:
    94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Doesn't sound like the starter, sounds like the alternator.
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

yeah man check your alternator.. get it tested.. along with the batter.. check your connections also.. just because the connector is on the battery doesn't mean it's tight enough to get enough power to turn the starter.. if you just hear it click when you turn the key that mean the starter is engaging but doesn't have enough amps to auctually turn over the motor.. the click is the starter gear springing out and grabbing ahold of the flywheel (or flexplate whichever the case may be)....
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

last nite i did finally get the car started..drove back home. everything went good until i shut it off and tried to start it again.

now when i had the key 3/4 turned on, with jumpers on the battery iwas getting a reading of about 13.5 ..canthe battery still be bad?

i dont want to buy an alternator for $130 then have to buy a battery too unless of course i have no choice!! thanks for the help guys
        94 3.4L A4 white t-tops<br />moroso cai<br />3\"hi-flow pacestter exhaust<br />b&m shift kit<br />catco cat<br />01 T/A rear w/ 3.73\'s and posi<br />1 pc aluminum ds<br />blacked out signals

Comment

Test it. Your alternator should be kicking out around 14 volts. If it's less than 12, it's ahot. If you're driving around on a bad alternator, you could permanently damage the battery too. Autozone can test before you replace.
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Yea....that loud clicking sounds like it could be your battery or alternator. Just get them checked out. AutoZone will do it for free.
            <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
              by ssms5411
              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
              1 week ago
            • RPDRed6
              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
              by RPDRed6
              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
              3 weeks ago
            • ssms5411
              No start problem
              by ssms5411
              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X