Car still overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car still overheating?

I flushed my system, put new antifreeze in, bleed the air outta there a few times. My car use to hang around the quarter mark right above the 160 and never move. Now it's at the half way mark and falls and raises. Whats the deal?

Under what conditions does the temperature rise? Idling, traffic, high speed, under a load?
    \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

do your cooling fans turn on?
      ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Wait a minute, isn't this the guy that drag races with a shop-vac hooked up to his intake? :D Sorry dude. Give us some conditions for overheating and we'll point you in the right direction.
        \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Maybe your thermostat is bad.

Comment

Could just be your gauge is off my just suddenly did that a few weeks back no big deal as long as you don;t get the check guage light
            My new ride 2000 camaro, No mods yet still waiting for warranty to run out then all out heads, cam, and supercharger

Comment

I just finished going through the same type problem. It turned out the my radiator needed to be rodded out. The temp would generally climb when at idle for a few minutes (drive-thru lines). The fans would kick in and bring it back down, but it became a fairly consistant thing
              anytime I was stopped for more than a minute or two. Had the radiator done (about $200) and it has not happened since
              1997 Arctic White 3.8L Firebird A4<br /> T-Tops, Y87, W68<br /> SLP CAI, FlowMaster<br />2002 Black/Black Trans Am A4<br /> T-Tops, WS6

Comment

It's about 85 90 degrees outside. No i don't have that vac system hooked up right now, thats a side project off the car for now and im not worrying about that. How many fans are supposed to be running when you first start it up, and when do they both turn on, etc... I'm not sure if they're out or not. They might be... I'm going to change my thermostat again. The other day it almost redlined in the temp range. I changed the fluid and it won't go over 210 but it's still hot considering it stayed dead at 180 for 8 months. And it didn't act up in these conditions before. I broke the seal on my IAT sensor by accidenet maybee it's jerking a bit and cant get an accurate temperature. I'm going to seal that back up and see if that helps. I'm also going to check my fans later. Thanks for all the help.

Ted

Comment

fans should turn on at around 195-210 or so. fans should also turn on anytime AC is on. let it sit at idle and watch for fan operation. if no fan, diagnose fan electrical circuit.

IAT should have little effect on overheating. ECT will, however, because this is the main input to pcm for cooling fan operation. is your upper radiator hose hot when you're over 180 or so? if it is, thermostat is probably opening.

[ April 17, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>
                  ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X