• Show
Clear All

I like the LQ4 option :D
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dominic:
      I like the LQ4 option :D <hr></blockquote>

wouldn't it be sweet; just get me a tiny decal put on the back that says LQ4 on a completely base model camaro. the next day the LS1 forums are filled with "SOME GUY IN A BASE MODEL TOOK MY MANHOOD AND ALL I SAW WAS AN 'LQ4' STICKER ON IT." [img]graemlins/evilgrin.gif[/img]

Comment

personally id go with the LT1 option, mainly due to the money issue. however, if you are getting the motor out of another car then you need to know the year because the LT1 in the 93 Z28's and TA's are different than the 94 and up versions. (they use speed density instead of MAF and have a different opti-spark module) just putting in my .02

94 camaro auto, K&N fipk, pacesetter cat-back
        93 Z28 M6 M29 K&N fipk, high-flow cat, Accel 300+ ignition

Comment

Another option is to make one of those LS1 based (understroked) 302s. Pretty sweet.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fullagar:
            however, if you are getting the motor out of another car then you need to know the year because the LT1 in the 93 Z28's and TA's are different than the 94 and up versions. <hr></blockquote>

i would want a '96+ LT1. that's when they gave them an update and changed the computer systems.

Comment

Alot of people prefer the 95 motors. They have the vented Optispark unit, but are still OBDI. Less crap to worry about I guess. It is still a single cat exhuast, but you could probably switch that to dual cats if you want.

Comment

the '96 got the OBDII.

i just found a place with an LQ4. they wanted $4K for it with all accessories. they also wanted $1800 for a T56 so needless to say i will keep looking around. the place i found was in dallas and they sort of specialize in f-body cars. i think if i find one that's not a performance oriented shop or i can find a place to pull my own parts i could get it much cheaper.

that's still falling down into the range i want.

Comment

Who in dallas did you contact? I have been looking into picking up an LT1 and finding it locally would certainly save some cash on shipping!

Comment

Where did the LQ4 derive from?
                    1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

there are numerous places that carry LT1s in dfw. the place i contacted is in rowlett. their website is Regal Performance. from what i've discovered, there are several places that you can pull your own parts and if you are semi-knowledgeable, you can pull your own parts for far cheaper than if you get them already pulled. there is a place in kennedale that sells LT1s/LS1s with the complete drivetrain for less than what regal performance does. regal seems kind of high. the most expensive portion by far is that stupid T56.

the LQ4 is a gen 3 364ci chevrolet small block. it is used in the heavy duty chev./gmc trucks and SUVs. the only difference in it and an LS1 is it uses an iron block and iron heads, instead of aluminum, and a taller manifold. the coolest part is everything on an LQ4 is completely interchangeable with an LS1. this means you can buy LS1 parts to add to your LQ4 motor. if i can get one for a good price, i'm getting it and replacing the cylinder heads with the gm Z06 cylinder heads. they are $670 from gmpartsdirect.com. i plan to get them ported and polished and if i haven't spent too much, i'm going to bore out the motor to .030 and get a 4.250 stroker crank. this will make it a 434ci motor, but it's gonna cost me about $2K for that alone. to make this work i'd probably have to get forged pistons and connecting rods, but i'd have over 500hp. i'd also like to get a new cam i will also have to get an oil pan from an LS1 and an intake manifold from an LS1 or get the Z06 parts, but i can do the Z06 manifold later. i'm not a big forced induction fan, but an iron block would be a lot better if i add NOS, which may come at an 80 shot later on.

so far, i've found the one for $4K. i'm anxious, but don't have my panties in a bunch to get this done, so i think i'm going to keep looking until i can find one for a good price. i'm hoping to do everything by the end of summer, but i'm probably going to be working on the motor for a while before it actually goes into the car. if the motor has to wait a while before going in to be the way i want it, then it may take me a while to actually put this thing in the car. after researching this, i think i've found the right combo for my '03 cobra killer.

the N/A LQ4 has some serious 500+hp potential.

[ April 22, 2002: Message edited by: Domestic Violence ]</p>

Comment

Pertaining to manifolds, there's a few after market manifolds for the LS1. Holley now has a manifold and I have found a couple places that make them. You can see the Holly at just about any internet site, such as thunder racing. If you're interested I'll post the other sites that have other manifolds.
                        1 of a kind<p>Red 97 Camaro<p>Modifications: <br />SLP CAI, RK Sport Headers, Car Sound High Flow Cat, 3\" piping<br />3\" Steel driveshaft, SFC\'s, Panhard Rod, MAC Torque Arm<br />Manual Fan Switch<p>Best E/T:<p>60\' 2.152<br />330 6.271<br />1/8th 9.704<br />MPH 71.93

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X