help! car wont run!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! car wont run!

last night my car ran fine, but this morning when i cranked it up, it sounded like crap. my exhaust just kinda putters, and the car kinda shakes. when i rev it up, the car just shakes even harder and coughs and will barely rev. when i went to back up to see if it will drive, the car BARELY accellerates and shakes more. after backing up like 4 feet, the service engine soon light came on and i turned the car off. does anybody have any idea about whats wrong??!! [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]

3.4L or 3.8L

Make sure everything is pluged in (IAC, EGR, ext..)
    <b>LS1 RX7! </b> &#0124;&#0124; <a href=\"http://www.no-bling.com/image_galleries/index.php?action=viewgallery&gallery=galleries/eyeoutthere_LS1_FC\" target=\"_blank\">Full Gallery</a> <br /><br />LT1 Header Informtion/survey

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by EyeOutThere:
      3.4L or 3.8L

Make sure everything is pluged in (IAC, EGR, ext..)
      <hr></blockquote>

its a 3.8L
      ive checked around everything. it all looks plugged in

Comment

pull codes and post
        ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by strange_trp:
          pull codes and post<hr></blockquote>

i would, but the car doesnt run good enough to even drive, so i cant take it anywhere.

Comment

did you piss someone off and they put sugar in your tank?

Could be something with your fuel system. You should check your throttle body and see if there is any dirt. You should also check your plug wires also. It sounds pretty bad though, but it could be easily fixed.

You need to find a way to pull the codes to make this much easier. Do you have AAA? They can tow you for free with some programs they offer.
            <b>99\' Black Camaro SS</b> <br />M6/T-Tops - SLPLid w/K&N | Hurst Billet Plus w/ LSS | EGR Mod<p>Black 97\' Camaro T-Tops (RIP)

Comment

check for fuel pressure with ign switch on. you will need fuel press gauge to hook to schrader valve on fuel rail.
              check for spark at plugs.
              post results. or email me and i'll help you from there. i will expect you to have a haynes manual. cranks over just wont run on its own, right?
              ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

well, i got my car to a mechanic this morning. i barely made it. i had to drive like 15mph the whole way there with my ses light flashing and my brother following me in case i didnt make it. luckily the mechanic is only about a mile away. anyway, i just got a call from him and he said it was the fuel filter. hmmm...weird. hes charging me $160 for fixing it :mad: . he also said something about me having a wire that broke, and he replaced it. i dunno, im gonna talk to him about that more when i go to pick it up later. thanks guys! im happy im getting my baby back!!!

Comment

it is misfireing sounds like u burned a spark wire or burnt out a coil
                  <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

I bet u that it was only the broken plug cause thats exzactly what happens when they break i did it last sat. He ripped you off i bet yo.
                    <b><a href=\"http://www.sick-sixx.com\" target=\"_blank\">SICK-SIXX MEMBER</a></b><br />NA 14.345 with a 1.863 60 foot<br />Nitrous 13.03@99.5 with a 1.63 60 foot<br /><br />2000 Camaro 3.8L A4: USE TO HAVE Comp Cam 210/220 .535/.547 113lsa 111 I/C, Port and Polished Heads, NX Wet Kit 100 Shot, CPRA made by CP, RK Sport Headers

Comment

well, turns out the wire that he was talking about was indeed the spark plug wire. it looks like the plug just broke right off.
                      18, 2002: Message edited by: Majestic43 ]

[ April 18, 2002: Message edited by: Majestic43 ]</p>

Comment

Dang...$160 for a fuel filter??? [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
                        2001 Onyx Black Camaro M5-Totalled<br />2005 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L<br /><br />\"To make peace, prepare for war.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Fin:
                          Dang...$160 for a fuel filter??? [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] <hr></blockquote>

parts markup plus very generous labor time = $160.
                          wish i worked at that shop. cha-ching!

Comment

yep, the receipt said:
                            total parts: $34.85
                            2 1/2hr labor: $120.00

oh well. at least my cars back.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Majestic43:
                              yep, the receipt said:
                              total parts: $34.85
                              2 1/2hr labor: $120.00
                              <hr></blockquote>

120 is really not that bad for 2.5 hours. but what all did he do?

honestly guys, being an automotive tech is a pretty high-paying career. he probably only spent about 20 minutes on it and charged you book time.

[ April 19, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X