super tech oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• super tech oil

I was in walmart today and saw something amazing... well if you know stuff about oil on the back on the SAE lable it gives your oil a rating based on the addatives.. Rating go from SA which you should never use and up.. the higher you get in the alphabet the better it is... Now most the oils we use are now SL quality. For example i use valvoline and that's SL... I decided to take a look on the back of super tech expecting it to say SK or even lower... WEll it ended up being SM !!! This amazed me.. This is the same rating as Mobile 1.. now before everyone rides my a$$ i'm not saying it's as good as mobile 1 and i still don't trust it but it really can't be that bad of stuff
    95 camaro 3.4 &lt; Jc whitney Exhaust, Chrome intake stage 2, Rk sport headers, msd dis-4, 160*thermo, Jet stage 2 chip, black racing stripes.<br /><br />91 Camaro rs 5.0 tbi gone but not forgoten

I have been running the walmart ST3980 filter on my car and used to on my exes grand prix GT for years...also the ST Full synthetic 10-30 for the same amount of time.

Change them both about 4500 miles or so, no problems here at all. I also run the walmart ATF as well. All the supertech full synthetic oil is quaker state full synthetic re-labeled. Quaker state also makes the dino ST oil.

I also ran the same oil, and ST16 on my mom's dodge for a number of years as well. Zero problems. Best bang for the buck oil out there.
    -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

super tech is crap straight up. oil pressure doesnt last for more than 2000 miles and the stuff is thinner new than my castrol at 3000 miles. all the walmart guys say they wouldnt use it in go carts or crappy lawn mowers. and it may be made by quaker state, but it doesnt do as good of job as real quaker does. do some tests and see the differences for yourselves.

the walmart manager even told me the only reason they sell it is to get money spending redneck hicks to buy 20+ bottles of cheap oil and walk all they way through the store to get it. making them buy other things on the way.
      96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

Ok..

Let see...your arguement based solely on opinion from "walmart associates" and ignorant dumbass statements like you made...

or

the words of people like me on bobistheoilguy.com who have actually been using it for years.

hmmm...this one isn't hard to figure out.
        -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

i have used st oil in my wifes car for the last two years or so now and it actualy seams like it made it better on gas and also no more knock in cold weather but still never used it in the bird (may it rest in peace) i do use the oil filters on every thing thou
          1995, 3.4l, v6 automatic, no pcm mods, no cat turbo thrush muffler, dry 100 shot of nos(ended the life of the car befor its time), cai, T.B. heater bypass,

Comment

hey im not looking for a flame war and wasnt intending to come accross mean so get off your freaken high horse and chill the hell out!

anyway my experience with the oil hasn't been good and i was just telling you what the walmart guys have to say about it. yeah of course any oil will suffice for 3000 miles and if your car last for three lightyears on supertech then hey, you just saved a dollar a quart on oil and have a long lasting engine.

i was just stating what i was told and my experience as we are all supposed to do on a forum with 7000+ members. not to flame and make a jackars out of www.camarov6.com

i would comment more about you but i would be stuping to your level and adding to the jackarsness of this thread. this will be my last post on this specific subject and hopefully you will not flame others for their personal experience and educated opinions. educated i mean by actual real technicians that deal with supertech for years and i think the manager of walmart kinda knows a lil more than you on who makes it and its quality. pour both into glass containers and you will see the difference for yourself.

please continue to keep this forum a knowledgable and nonjackars forum.

thanks ;)
            96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

not tryin to be rude but i was just commenting not sayin yer right or wrong
              1995, 3.4l, v6 automatic, no pcm mods, no cat turbo thrush muffler, dry 100 shot of nos(ended the life of the car befor its time), cai, T.B. heater bypass,

Comment

As of now, most Supertech oil is either made by Warren Performance Products or Mobil. It's perfectly fine for shorter oil changes [3,000 miles] and normal driving. Really.

I wouldn't use it for extended drains, really hard driving, etc. In all honesty, it's hard to find a truly "bad" SL or SM rated oil these days. Someone was mentioning before that it is too thin. Ironically, one of the main complaints people have about Mobil 1 is that it's at the thin side of a 30 weight oil right from the start [based on oil analysis, not what "somebody" told them].

Supertech oil is a good deal. For what it is, though, plain old Havoline is an even better deal.
                \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Watch it...

[ April 27, 2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: navyblue2000 ]

Comment

There is a "Super Tech" synthetic. Does anyone know who makes it?BTW it meets GM4718M, the Corvette spec.,while some other syntheics don't!
                    geocor

Comment

From what I've read, it's made by Warren Performance Products. It's a group-III synthetic.

The 4718 certification may not be as big a deal as you think, sometimes it's has to do with marketing "angle":

For example, Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic lists a bunch of European car specs that it meets, like MB, VW, and ACEA A3/B3. Not much mention of domestics.

Havoline Synthetic lists Ford and GM hi-perf specs, but nothing about European cars.

Both are decent group III synthetics. I don't consider one to be tremendously better than the other for my application.
                      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

Originally posted by geocor:
                        There is a "Super Tech" synthetic. Does anyone know who makes it?BTW it meets GM4718M, the Corvette spec.,while some other syntheics don't!
                        Quaker state according to bobistheoilguy.

or you could trust mr.wal mart associate. Up to you.

Comment

Fredless, I believe you some here just don't understand logic.Like the other post on Mobil1 synthetic oil.I don't know why some say that 4718M is not a stringent spec ,I believe it let the LS1,& LS6 engines survive without a oil cooler.If the oils that don't meet it are so superior why then can't you use it on some of the most premier sports cars in the World? IE. all high perfomance Mercedes,BMWs,Vipers ,Corvettes, just to name a few come packed with an oil specifing GM4718M,there must be a reason!
                          geocor

Comment

They can believe that nonsense if they wish. I've read all I need to read, and by me and how my mom redlines (6500rpm on the hyundai XG300 V6) her car all the time as well, I am definitely not switching from Super Tech. It has held up just fine over the years.

I'll continue being a dumb redneck...hey! Has anyone ever seen a cuban redneck before? ;)

Comment

No, never a Cuban Redneck ,but a hell of a lot of other latinos ,& most every other ethnic group I could think of though!
                              geocor

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X