No announcement yet.

Mobil Synthetic Oil question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synthetic oil is thinner and is usually not recommended for high mileage NA engines. Unless your car is turbo charged switch back to your regular oil and it should stop leaking.
    1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

i have heard sythetic oil isnt good for forced induction motors. it is to slick and the added pressure forces the pistons down past some of the oil leaving some in the combustion chamber.
      96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

I switched my bird to synthetic at 123,xxx miles. No problems. Although the car was well maintained, and the previous owner may very well have been using syntheitc before.

Comment

It is fine for FI cars, in fact it doesn't coke up nearly as bad as conventional oil.
          There aren't any added pressure forces from running a different oil, there would be less. The piston doesn't get pushed any further down. Might blow by worn piston rings more than conventional oil though.

I switched at 75K with no problems at all.
          10-30 in the winter, 15-50 in the summer.

Like it was said before synthetic oil won't cause any problems at all, it just tends to uncover existing ones. It is a far superior lubricant.

Any oil that you can't break in a motor on because it "won't wear enough" is great for a decently broken in motor because it won't wear too much more.
          1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
          1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

i have heard sythetic oil isnt good for forced induction motors. it is to slick and the added pressure forces the pistons down past some of the oil leaving some in the combustion chamber.
            there will always be a tiny amount of oil in the chambers due to the way they are designed, they have little grooves to make sure very small amount of oil stays on the cylinder walls, but be wary of blue smoke,to ensure dispation of height and allow the pistons to move freely- if the rings on the pistons scraped off all the oil we'd be in trouble! My highschool autoshop teacher liked ground oil but then again he likes paper filters cuz they breathe better! I dunno whats better but my runs fine on synth. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

to clarify, the 1st number is oil weight 10w or 5w
            the second is viscosity(spelling?)

any1 else hear people trying to make a 0 weight oil.
            -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

Originally posted by RicE-ter:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> i have heard sythetic oil isnt good for forced induction motors. it is to slick and the added pressure forces the pistons down past some of the oil leaving some in the combustion chamber.
              there will always be a tiny amount of oil in the chambers due to the way they are designed, they have little grooves to allow a very small amount of oil stays on the cylinder walls, but be wary of blue smoke,to ensure dispation of height and allow the pistons to move freely- if the rings on the pistons scraped off all the oil we'd be in trouble! My highschool autoshop teacher liked ground oil but then again he likes paper filters cuz they breathe better! I dunno whats better but my runs fine on synth. [img]graemlins/wavey.gif[/img]

to clarify, the 1st number is oil weight 10w or 5w
              the second is viscosity(spelling?)

any1 else hear people trying to make a 0 weight oil.
              </font>[/QUOTE]weight is viscosity.
              This first is the "weight" that the oil behaves like in the cold, you want a thinner oil in cold because it thickens in cooler weather.
              The second is the weight that it behaves like at higher temps, you want a thicker oil if it will be in hotter temps because oil thins as it heats.
              1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
              1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

o ok
                thats what i figured

good to know [img]smile.gif[/img] - iguess they justwant to use big words to make people feel dumb and make the product look sooooo extraordinary

o yah and i meant 'heat' when i sed 'height' for those who read too fast like me or just missed it
                -RJ \"Like trail mix I\'m a lil sweet but mostly nutty\"<br />Metallic Blue 2001 3.8 Firebird M5<br />FRA,Smoothed Air lid, Homedepot Intake, K&N Air Filter, MSD Coils & Plug wires, Iridium Plugs, Flash Tune, 2.5 Flowmaster Catback.

Comment

Ok, there are WAY too many crappy myths being thrown around in this thread. First, synthetic oil is not thinner than regular oil...synthetic 10-30 is the same viscosity as normal 10-30.

And the reason you shouldn't change from regular to synthetic after so many miles is because it exaggerates existing problems with your seals, and you start noticing the leaks that were already.

Also, as for this comment "look at what conventional oil is made of (dino and okd crap) and what synth is made of (chemicals made in a lab). synth is way more pure."....Regular oil is man-made, and often recycled in factories. Synthetic oil is just that, SYNTHETIC. It's pure, without the manufacturing processes that some normal oils go through. That is the reason why it protects better.

And why do crappy threads like this stay alive? DIE, LOCK IT, SOMETHING.
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

Anyone intersested in facts,cold & hard ,how good some synthetics are, just go on:www.redlineoil.com or www.askmobil.com.Some myths & misconceptions, & out rite uneducated bs can be cleared up at the Mobil or Redline sites.
                    geocor

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:
                      Ok, there are WAY too many crappy myths being thrown around in this thread. First, synthetic oil is not thinner than regular oil...synthetic 10-30 is the same viscosity as normal 10-30.

And the reason you shouldn't change from regular to synthetic after so many miles is because it exaggerates existing problems with your seals, and you start noticing the leaks that were already.

Also, as for this comment "look at what conventional oil is made of (dino and okd crap) and what synth is made of (chemicals made in a lab). synth is way more pure."....Regular oil is man-made, and often recycled in factories. Synthetic oil is just that, SYNTHETIC. It's pure, without the manufacturing processes that some normal oils go through. That is the reason why it protects better.

I believe you're wrong. Synthetic oils have a much higher viscosity index which allows them to keep thinner at higher temps compared to conventional oil. Hence the reason why many turbo cars will run synthetic oil because of the increased temperature caused by the added heat of the turbo. It maintains its viscosity a lot better than conventional oil under load.

By all means, prove me wrong if I'm wrong. I'm no oil god.

[ April 30, 2005, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Th3 RiCk ]
                      1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Also, I totally agree that synthetic oil does not cause leaks. Bad seals and such cause oil leaks. Synthetic oils just have a tendency to find a way to leak through the bad seals.

I can't back this up with any text books etc (Any that I could find at least), but it's pretty widely accepted that synthetic oils will increase the possibilty of oil leaks in high mileage, older engines.
                        1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickV6:

Crappy thread? There was some misinformation in this thread but it was cleared up by later posts. Everything you said was mentioned outright or alluded to in previous posts.

This wasn't a crappy thread, some people mentioned some information that was wrong, later posts corrected it. That is the sign of a good thread.
                          SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3 RiCk:
                            </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by OneQuickV6:

I believe you're wrong. Synthetic oils have a much higher viscosity index which allows them to keep thinner at higher temps compared to conventional oil. Hence the reason why many turbo cars will run synthetic oil because of the increased temperature caused by the added heat of the turbo. It maintains its viscosity a lot better than conventional oil under load.

By all means, prove me wrong if I'm wrong. I'm no oil god.
                            </font>[/QUOTE]No he isn't wrong. His claim is that 10w-30 synthetic is the same viscosity as non-synthetic 10w-30. This is a true statement. The fact that a synthetic oil maintains its viscosity to a higher temperature is an advantage of a synthetic oil. However, that fact is beyond the scope of his claim and does not render his claim wrong.
                            SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3 RiCk:

I can't back this up with any text books etc (Any that I could find at least), but it's pretty widely accepted that synthetic oils will increase the possibilty of oil leaks in high mileage, older engines.
                              It isn't widely accepted that synthetic oil increases the possibility of leaks. It does not.

It exposes EXISTING leaks that were previously clogged up by sludge from conventional oil. If your car starts leaking after switching to synthetic oil this is a GOOD thing as now you can fix a problem you weren't previously aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by mjparme:
                                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Th3 RiCk:

It isn't widely accepted that synthetic oil increases the possibility of leaks. It does not.

It exposes EXISTING leaks that were previously clogged up by sludge from conventional oil. If your car starts leaking after switching to synthetic oil this is a GOOD thing as now you can fix a problem you weren't previously aware of.
                                </font>[/QUOTE]You're contradicting yourself.

If it exposes existing oil leaks (Which are not leaks yet, but are clogged possible leaks caused by conventional oil), which I agree with you, then it does in fact raise the possibility of an oil leak due to its ability to maintain its viscosity for a longer period of time.

It's ability to stay thin for a longer period of time will cause oil leaks in older high mileage engines that would not leak oil with conventional oil.
                                1998 A4 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X