Removing water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing water pump

Does anybody have any tips about removing the water pump, from what i have read, it should be easy, as there are only a few bolts holding the water pump in, i have removed every bolt and the thing won't come off, is there some kind of special trick to get it off? I've heard the coolant needs to be drained, but why would that matter? unless the coolant is holding the water pump in like a vaccum.
    thanks alot,
    Ron
    1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

all I can say is go over and double check to make sure you have all the bolts out and that there are no more bolts holding the pump on through any other brackets. I'm not totaly sure on the 3.8l but on the 3.4l one of the bolts that go throught the power stearing pump brackets goes all the way through and holds the pump on. And if all that checks out just get a big pry bar and pry the thing off. After time those gaskets can work more like glue than sealants.

Comment

Originally posted by crasher:
      just get a big pry bar and pry the thing off.
      [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] if he trys to pry it off with a pry bar, it will damage the surface allowing for it to leak even easier [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img]

people say to drain to coolant so it doesnt come flowing out onto your face or ground [img]smile.gif[/img]

i would tap the water pump with like a rubber mallet or dead blow hammer
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Originally posted by BLLDOGG:
        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by crasher:
        just get a big pry bar and pry the thing off.
        [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/twak.gif[/img] if he trys to pry it off with a pry bar, it will damage the surface allowing for it to leak even easier [img]graemlins/slap.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]only if you are an idot that doesn't know how to properly use a pry bar. But then again a rubber malot will probably work just as good. Just be careful and use your brain a lil bit and you'll be fine. Just make sure you get all the old gasket material off before you put the new pump back on or you will just be doing it all over again.

Comment

take off serpentine belt
          take off water pump pulley
          pull off the 3 bolts and 2 nuts
          &lt;bolts in front, nuts in back....may have to remove the coil pack to access 1 bolt&gt;
          take off....i say 10 bolts holding the waterpump
          hit with rubber mallet, or tape up a hammer
          falls off...victory

and theorectically you dont HAVE to drain the coolant, you can just get splashed with coolant and have to pick up a nice mess when your done, and we all know how we like to clean up messes and get splashed with coolant...boy that makes my day

Goodluck
          I will take on all comers...or come on all takers!!! Whichever you prefer.

Comment

i finished taking off the water pump this morning. I tried hitting it with a rubber mallet, didn't do ****. Then i took a mini crow bar and used the bottom of the intake manifold for leverage, and pop. came off very easily, it was a ***** geting the old gasket off, i cut myself like 3 times with a razor in the process.
            1996 Pontiac Firebird<br />Flowmaster Exhaust, Custom Cold Air Intake, 3.42 gears with LSD

Comment

Rookie
              I will take on all comers...or come on all takers!!! Whichever you prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamespikeMST1:
                Rookie
                [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X