SES Light, few possibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Light, few possibilities

I plan on going to Autozone to get it hooked up to see, but I was wondering if these problems could be it.

Few weeks ago my car started having this burning type of smell whenever I got out after driving 15 mins or more. Smelled kinda like a clutch but wasnt sure.

When I switched out my thrmostat I replaced the lost fluid with distilled water. Anything to do with anything?

Tues, I put in the Acetone (2oz) to 14 gallons, cars been running great. I also installed a manual fan switch (custom, not SLP)

Nothing has been going on with the car, but last night I was sitting in line at McDs (it was like 1:30am) so it wasnt that hot out, and I turned on my cars fans to high. After a about 45 seconds, the SES light came on, and wont go off. The car also went up to 210 right after, it hardly EVER hits 210 at night, and I wasnt even driving it hard. I was hoping after work when I got out it wouldnt be on anymore... wrong. So any ideas on what this could be? Im thinking I just need a radiotor flush but could I be wrong?

EDIT: sorry Engine is at 80700 miles.

[ May 06, 2005, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: phoenix6 ]
    2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

Update, I went to get my codes checked and I only had one...

P0481
    Cooling Fan 2 Control Circuit

So I guess my car isnt liking that I can turn on my 2nd fan manually. O well, the guy erased it and SES light is gone. Actually it went away after I left my house, b4 I got there. Then it was back when we plugged in the programmer and turned on the car.

Thats fixed now I guess.

Comment

Manual fan switches usually trigger that DTC. ;)
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

DTC? Sorry not familiar withthat one. Anyways, Is there a way to prevent this in the future? I accidently did it again and I figure out when it does it. When i have the high setting on, if I go forward at all, the SES light triggers, bc thats how it happened last night too. Will disconnecting the battery fix this? I dont want to have to go to Autozone again.

Also, the OBD II that they use at autozone to scan for codes, can u buy them from Autzone? If So how much?

EDIT: Answered my own question for that last one, its a $150! Thats alot for just that, I might as well wait til I can get my HP Tuner system, can that scan for codes and delete them?

Comment

Sorry, DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code. P0481 in this case.

You can get cheap scanners to just view and clear the codes from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...546348683&rd=1

The best way to deal with it is to disable the code with HP Tuners or DHP.

If you can't disable it, just ignore it. ;)
          Matt
          1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
          Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

well Im getting HP Tuner eventually, so I can disable it huh, good. Id like to just ignore it, but when something REALLY goes wrong I wont really know since my lights already been on, plus its annoying.

Thanks for the info

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X