I think my car tops out at 90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my car tops out at 90

Last night's temp was so nice so I had to go out for a drive, I got on the local highway and paced with a chevelle, blue C5 convertable and some sort of shelby roadster forom the 60's then I turned around and figureing the road is clear and the fact that I have had this car 7 months and have never really had it WOT I floored it off the exit ramp and into the open highway, I held the gas to the floor and the car really pulled all the way up to about 80 something then it pretty much lost it's pull, I was probibly doing 92 or so and it gave me the impression that it will take a LONG time to hit 118 speed limiter, I also had the T tops off and windows down so I am wondering how much drag that creates, all that air going in and geting stuck in the trunk sort of like the parachute effect because the car seams to want to get moving alot faster when it is all closed up.
    any sugestions?
    ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

hmmm Thats not right. I hit 110 no problem. After that it gets a little slow on up. I don't think the t-tops and windows being down should slow you down that much. Try it with them on next time.

BTW what do you mean by Auto headlights in your sig? I think we all have that in our maros.

[ July 31, 2002: Message edited by: bu-bye ]</p>
    White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bu-bye:
      [QB]

BTW what do you mean by Auto headlights in your sig? I think we all have that in our maros.[QB]<hr></blockquote>

He means that he removed them.
      2002 M5 Bright Metallic Silver <br />*Fully loaded and modded<br /><br />2005 GSXR 750<br />*Micron Serpent Race Exhaust *K&N Filter *Power Commander *Trying to hit 200 MPH!<br /><br />1970 SS 454 Chevelle Cortez Silver<br />*It can pass anything but a gas station

Comment

put your foot to the floor and leave it there...car is probaly full of carbon since you obvioulsy drive like a grandma

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NBMA4V6:
          put your foot to the floor and leave it there...car is probaly full of carbon since you obvioulsy drive like a grandma<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]
          WWW<br />Certified Collision Repair and Refinishing Technition<br />1997 3.8l Y87 Camaro \"Layla\"<br />2000 Mustang GT

Comment

You will be surprised how much drag there was when you put your T-tops back on and roll your windows back up, and then try your high speed run.

Be safe and have fun! :D
            FRANKLIN H. <br />1995 Silver Camaro L32 <br />K&N,Flowmaster,HPP,160*,1LE,Zexel-Torsen,ES,BFG,Michelin,Bilstein,Eibach,C5 rims,!CAT,!AC

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NBMA4V6:
              put your foot to the floor and leave it there...car is probaly full of carbon since you obvioulsy drive like a grandma<hr></blockquote>

What are you talking about, It would be a rare thing if I was going under the speed limit.
              and while I am at it stop craping on me, I was simply asking if 90 or so is when the car looses it's pull or if having the t tops off at that kind of speed really does slow it down.
              ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

Yes, there is a drag effect, both the headlights and especially the tops off. But you still should have absolutely no problem going quickly way past 80 or 90.

Yes, a V6 Firebird can easily hit the 118 limiter with the tops off and lights up.
                I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

i would check fuel filter could be plugged, very cheep to do and a good maintence item anyways
                  1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

yeha I have 40 less hp and i can easlily cruise up to 90 and 100 and all the way to 118 in 4th gear. jeez i can even accelrate decent in 5th.

i also have a little gearing that should be hurting me top end.

Comment

I've gone 118 with the top down before no problem...didn't lose any pull until about 115, even then it wasn't real slow
                      1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Everglades W68:
                        Yes, there is a drag effect, both the headlights and especially the tops off. But you still should have absolutely no problem going quickly way past 80 or 90.

Yes, a V6 Firebird can easily hit the 118 limiter with the tops off and lights up.
                        <hr></blockquote>
                        I never though of the headlights causing a drag

, and while I am at it, where is the fule filter, the car is 5 and only has 16,000 miles so it may be clogged, maybe I will change it.

Comment

headlights wont cause drag on a camaro... they will on a firebird, but I dont know if it will be enough to notice...

Comment

headlights on Camaros do cause a little bit of drag, not nearly as much as on the Firebirds however.

This is one of the reasons that some people put blackouts on the headlights. Pretty much any opening in the front of the car will cause drag, including the headlight spacing.

Comment

For a 1985 corvette, you lose 2mpg on the highway if you have your lights up.
                              1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X