strong gas odor with my bird... should I be worried? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

strong gas odor with my bird... should I be worried?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strong gas odor with my bird... should I be worried?

Here's the deal. My '96 firebird has a pretty strong gas smell around her when she's idling or had just been parked. I think it's been this way since I got her back in 2000 as a used car with about 32000 miles, but I kinda freaked out today when I parked the car in the garage and the smell was so strong. It's not getting worse per se, but I guess today it just hit me that maybe I should look into this.

So, what could be wrong, or is this normal?? The odor is especially noticeable when the car's in the garage with the confined space. However, I also have a 1996 Dodge Caravan SE in the garage and the van definitely doesn't smell this bad at all. Even the old 1989 Olds Royale doesn't smell this way. I thought this was one of the traits of the F-body, since this firebird was my first F-body.

Bottomline, should I be concerned over this, and what should I do about it?
    \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

my 93 s10 blazer did that, i filler her up and noticed her gas tank cap was missing [img]smile.gif[/img] Try getting a new gas cap, maybe urs isnt sealing right. also, ive heard some people have those symptoms when its time to change their fuel filter, but that was just what i think i read from a post. deff. try a new gas cap and see how taht goes till someone inteligent pops up on here [img]smile.gif[/img]
    1991 firebird - sold<br />1994 camaro v6 - lady ran red light<br /> *totaled*<br />1996 Camaro v6 RS sport package 5 spd - 8mm wires/ platinum plugs, z28 clutch@assembly, powerslot rottors, hiPo brake pads, hiPo power steering pump, larger tie rods and hubs, 1le tranny mounts

Comment

take a look at the charcoal canister behind the driver side rear wheel see if the smell is coming from there. i had this problem last week ( except mine smelled really bad inside the car and fantly outside) and asked about it and was told about the canister. mine was bad it was wet with gas and had gas init and since i replaced it no more gas smell. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      94 Firebird 3.4 M5 t-top<br />mods: 3.4 aluminum block, big block hood,custom ram air,cat back exhaust,3 JL 10 inch W0 with a 1200 wat legacy amp, legacy 6 1/2 componet set , pioneer 3 way 6 1/2 ,pioneer 730 wat amp.

Comment

fireman that canister is called the fuel filter [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Jason my fuel cap looks alright, but fuel filter sounds relevant so I'll check it out [img]smile.gif[/img]

Fireman, what's the job of the canister? I am on a trip so I won't get back to my bird until sunday [img]graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
          \'96 dark green V6 Firebird<br />Y87 Performance package<br />front license plate with silver firebird insignia<br />alpine CD deck<br />T-top<br />Tinted windows @ 27%<br />low mileage (just broke 45000 not long ago!)<br /><br />waiting for first performance mod :)

Comment

99camaro99, fireman is correct, that charcoal canister is not the fuel filter. The fuel filter is located near the rear of the car on the fuel lines underneath the car. The charcoal canister is for the EVAP system on the car, it captures fuel vapors when your car is sitting and burns them once you run your car. It is all EPA emissions type stuff, to not release hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. Sometimes if you try to fill your car too much with gas, the gas will run down the vapor lines and enter the charcoal canister and mess it up, this is why it is not a good idea to try to get the last 5 cents worth of gas in your car.

As far as lostatlantis's problem, could be gas in the canister, bad gas cap, fuel leak, bad seal on top of gas tank, try to sniff out the area and let us know where it is coming from if you can tell.
            Jared W. Drummond<br />jdrummon@vt.edu<br />1997 3.8 Firebird M5<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Flowmaster 80 Series Muffler* *SLP Cold Air Intake* *Zexel-Torsen LSD* *1-Piece DS* *Eibach Pro-Kit* *Removed MAF Screen* *Manual Fan Switch* *Mobil 1 Oils*<br />-----------------------------------<br />*Pioneer Premier DEH-920R Headunit* *Orion Cobalt 6 1/2\'s* *Sub Stealth Box w/ Alpine SWR-1021D* *Kenwood 728S Amp for Sub*

Comment

yes also check hte top of your intake manilfold.

might be your fuel injector seals leaking, or check the "quickconnection" on the fuel lines in the engien bay.

Comment

I usually smell kind of gas only when I start my engine when cold.

I am sure it's from the exhaust, so I haven't worried about it, but It might be a good idea to check around the car for any source of smell except exhaust, my fuel filter is quite new, so I might try gas cap and engine room.

[ August 03, 2002: Message edited by: 96_WhiteBird_Manual ]</p>
                - Chris<p>1996 Arctic White Firebird 3.8L V6 5-speed manual<br />K&N Air & Oil filter<br />Kumho 245/50 ZR16<br />Denso Iridium plugs & Tylor 8mm wires<br />Mobil1 10W30 SuperSyn<br />Momo Competition Steering Wheel & Shift knob<br />Pioneer CD player w/ 10 speakers<br />AutoOptiks headlight conversion w/ H4 Xenon HID lights<p>and many new parts thanks to many repairs. :)

Comment

It is also possible that you could have a leak from a fuel line. It may be a small gash. Run the car and check everything while it's idling, then have someone rev it for you. I think you'll find the leak this way. You should see gas squirting out!
                  2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                  1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                  2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                  2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                  2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

lostatlatis , right behind the drivers rear wheel there should be a plastic filler piece in the wheel well it is held on with a philips head screw and 7 mm bolt remove them and the inner panel will drop out ( easier and more room when tire is removed ). this will expose the whole filler neck and just behind it is the canester check the lines to it. and like others said check for a leaky fuel line or in the engine compartment if the smell is not coming from the canister.

also while the panel is off and the smell does not seem to be coming from the canester you have some room to check the filler neck were it attaches to the tank check, and see if the filler tube is loose and wiggles. if there is any hair line gaps in it fuel vapors will find it and exscape giving u a smell. same for the fuel cap as was mentioned above if it does not seal fuel vapors could possible find there way out.

i would start with checking the easier stuff that was mentioned earlier from people , fuel cap,fuel lines and injector sepeage. then if all looks fine start taking panel off.
                    94 Firebird 3.4 M5 t-top<br />mods: 3.4 aluminum block, big block hood,custom ram air,cat back exhaust,3 JL 10 inch W0 with a 1200 wat legacy amp, legacy 6 1/2 componet set , pioneer 3 way 6 1/2 ,pioneer 730 wat amp.

Comment

i was thinking along the lines of maybe ur car is runing a little on the rich side, i setmine to run rich and i get that smell.
                      1998 black convertible camaro<br />rasied air box,free ram air , colored inter knobs,b&m shift kit, race magnum muffler, 3 1/2 crome tips, no cat,clear turn signals, custom front grill ,neons

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X