Can warped rotors be turned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can warped rotors be turned?

I think I might have warped rotors and Im wondering If I would have to buy new ones or get them turned since they are fairly new. Im also wondering how I would be able to tell if maybe one of my calipers isnt working right and maybe thats causing the warpage. Thanks
    1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

if they're fairly new, you can turn 'em.
    2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

You will know if your caliper isnt working. Mine started to stick on my other car and it burnt the pad up in no time. Then it started to burn rust into my expensive custom wheels. Just listen for squeeling. And yeah my calipers warped too, but beyond the point of turning them. I woulld fix that quick if I were you.
      1999 Firebird

Comment

If they are warped there is no turnin' 'em, you HAVE to go buy new ones, the only way turning them is acceptable is when there are shallow groves, warped rotors are just scrap metal.

Comment

Im having trouble knowing if their warped...how would I know?
          1996 Firebird-Y87:SLP Cold Air Intake,Y87 Perf. Package: 3.42 Gears w/ Zexel-Torsen LSD, Sport Steering(14.4:1 ratio), Dual Exit Exhaust,800 watt Pioneer Amp and Two 10\' subs with a custom trunk enclosure.

Comment

if htey are warped to a small extent, you can most certainly turn them. it all deals with how much runout they have. runout is the measurement of how far the rotor "moves" side to side as you spin them. you usually use a dial indicator and set it up against the face of teh rotor. find the lowest spot, zero the dial, then rotate the rotor to see how much they are warped. If the amount of runout is not over spec, they can probably be turned assuming that you wont go under the recommended minimum material thickness for the rotors. If you have grooves cut in your rotors, you will almost certainly have to replace them.
            If they are warped, you would feel a vibration in your brake pedal when you apply the brakes. In extreme cases, i've even seen the steering wheel shake under braking. however, depending on where you look, you can probably get new rotors for about the same price as itll cost you to turn them. new rotors last longer and wont warp as fast to boot. its up to you man.. personaly i dont bother turning rotors... if tehy arent too bad, i'll save them as spares in case of an emergency, but thats bout it. I drive too hard to be worried bout overheating recut rotors. good luck with your project.
            Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

I just feel a little rolling feeling when I slow down to about 10mph and under, Im not sure what else could cause this

Comment

rolling feeling? what do you mean? when rotors start to warp, you will feel them kinda pulsate the stopping at low speed. teh car will feel like the brakes are grabbing, then releasing over and over very slightly. is that what you mean?
                Phill<br /><br />95 camaro... need money for turbo project... <br />94 S10 Blazer - winter beater - infinity system to be installed soon<br /><br />\"The man who says it cant be done should not interrupt the man doing it...\"

Comment

yup exactly the feeling.....Im just gonna buy new rotors Im only changing the back brakes do you think I should change the front(the fron t still has alot of brake paf left
                  0 just didt know if you should do them at the same time.

Comment

You only need to do one set at a time. If there is enough material on the pads and the rotors aren't warped in the front, you can leave them alone.

Comment

thanks man....im just replacing the rotors their only 15 dollars a piece so....thanks I just want to make sure im ready for the 1500 mile road trip fram sa tx to wash DC

Comment

So I changed the pads but kept the rotors...I noticed that the pads were worn on the outer edge about a a quarter inch at a slant....not sure what that means any clue?

Comment

That means that you're rotors are warped, as they are wearing unevenly, and when your rotors are warped there is no turning them, they are off balance imagine it that they are bent(basically what happens when they warp, as they're distorted) no matter how mild the rotors will be unbalanced and warp in 20 minutes anyway from turning them, and when you're talking tolerances its the .001 of an inch, not .25 of an inch, you'll just keep killing pads until those rotors are replaced. Also a little known fact about rotors, if you don't propery torque your lug nuts in the "star" pattern it will warp your rotors.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X