motor mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• motor mounts

I broke my motor mounts and bought poly ones can anyone try to explain to me where the motor mount bolts are... i only have the car jacked up 3 inches and i've never mess with motor mounts before. Also my engine is sitting on the frame so that leaves even less headroom. I just unscrew the bolts and jack the engine up by the pan (with boards so i don't F my pan up) right? Thanks

you really shouldnt jack at the pan, but if you must...
    support the engine on a jack or a CHERRY PICKER!!!!!!!
    find the motor mounts should be 2 in front 1 in rear...
    do one at a time, unbolt one adjust the engine so you can get the mount out, then reinstall the new mount, dont trq the bolt down just yet....
    move on to the next
    then the next
    then trq down all the bolts
    should be about a 4 hour job
    goodluck
    I will take on all comers...or come on all takers!!! Whichever you prefer.

Comment

well i have the car on jackstands i just don't know how to move the engine around so i can get a new mount under it so i assumed you jacked under the pan... the pan is already on the frame anyway lol
      thanks for the help

also are you sure there are 3 mounts and not just 2

Comment

the pan isn't on the frame. it hovers above the frame, held there by your motor mounts. you're going to need a lot more than jack stands to change your motor mounts. luckily you can rent the necessary stuff (like a cherry picker, for example) cheaply at any tool rental shop.

Comment

im under the assumption theres 3......although im only going by common knowledge here, if i find out any more info on this subject ill be sure to let you know

Comment

ok... upon further review, the play stands 1st down....
            but really, heres what i learned
            1.raise vehicle on jackstands
            2. you are allowed to use a jack with wood as a base for the oil pan, although no more then 2 full jacks on it, more pressure may cause damage to the pan itself.
            3. check losseness of the mounts by inserting a screwdriver and chcking for looseness if all is well continue if not...
            4. lower engine and tighten mount fasteners
            5.to replace the rubber mounts, raise engine slightly, tkae off through bolts. then remove rubber peice and replace.
            and as far as the number of mounts, im still going with 3, lol
            hopes this helps

Comment

Please take pics of the oil pan afterwards so we can see the damage you inflict. Thanks!
              - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

how do you know you need new motormounts?

my car gets a little abuse and mine are fine and I have '00
                -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

My oil pan IS on my frame i'm not going to take a pic to prove it. That's how i know i need new mounts one of the mounts broke and fell off. All of the instructions i have read have said to jack up the engine by the pan. I'm not jacking the whole car up by the pan the car is already on jack stands.

Comment

Originally posted by viper98885:
                    Please take pics of the oil pan afterwards so we can see the damage you inflict. Thanks!
                    come on.....please :D
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

instead of being gay why don't you tell me the way i should do it

Comment

with just a quick overlook, i think renting a cherry picker was mentioned twice

Comment

yes thanks to them

Comment

If you don't wanna rent a cherry picker, here is one way to suspend the motor:
                            Get three 2x4 pieces of wood. Cut them the length of the strut towers, but not so long that they will touch the fenders. Bolt the three of them together vertically. When I did mine, I bolted them together towards the ends (a few inches towards the insides on either side) and then in the middle of the span. Next, use a chain wrapped around the wood and bolt the links of the chain to the lift brackets or anywhere else that it is convenient (and sturdy). Make sure that there is not a lot of slack between the chain and the motor. With this assembly complete, you will be able to jack up the front of the car and put jackstands under the frame rails on either side. Then, put your floor jack under the engine crossmember and jack it up so that it thouches, but does not lift the car any more. Unbolt the crossmember on either side and slowly lower the assembly. The weight of the engine will rest on the 2x4s above and you will be able to work underneath with the engine suspended. When you are done with the mounts, jack the crossmember back up and bolt it back in. Then, remove the 2x4s. Simple as that and you won't ruin the oil pan.
                            - Josh<br />If you have any questions or need installation pics/help, e-mail me: Viper98885@aol.com<br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/viper98885\" target=\"_blank\">\'93 Camaro Hardtop</a><br /><a href=\"http://Camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/01lincolnls8\" target=\"_blank\">\'01 Lincoln LS8 Sport</a><br />\'00 Yamaha YZF-R6<br /><a href=\"http://www.ftpp.net\" target=\"_blank\">Full Throttle Performance</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 01camaro3.8:
                              yes thanks to them
                              you have a serious attitude problem boy. be more grateful next time your piece breaks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X