repetetive ticking noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• repetetive ticking noise...

on the driver's side of the engine, there is a repetitive ticking noise. i can only hear it when i open the hood and sometimes it is louder than usual. it seems to be coming from the driver's side header or the area that is right above it. i can't tell or track exactly where the sound is coming from, but it is repetetive and is worrying me a little; i'm wondering if this is normal?
    2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Sounds like you might have a bent pushrod. Pull your heads and valve springs and check 'em... You might eventually get an SES light, in which case you can get ATAP or something to check the code..

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Phat3800 ]</p>
    --chris--

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Sounds like you might have a bent pushrod. Pull your heads and valve springs and check 'em...<hr></blockquote>

how in god's name do i check this and take all this stuff off. is it hard and will it take me a year?

i freaking wish i would get an ses light, so i'd know what the hell it is!

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>

Comment

oh ya, and it sounds like it might be in the injectors...just a thought though...somewhere close around there.

Comment

Well, since you have an A4, it would be harder to bend a rod. Usually that happens on a 5 or 6 speed when you're racing and you accidentally perform a 3 to 2 shift going over 75mph or so. That happened to my buddy in his z28--TWICE. Anyway, do you race? Do you regularly hit the rev limiter? If you don't, it could be a bad injector, but I'd check your pushrods first..
          --chris--

Comment

If its a ticking at idle don't worry, all our cars do this. Its just the injectors making a little noise =).

If its pretty loud though you might want to get it checked out... Try running some fuel injector cleaner through and changing the oil if it is time - it might quiet back up [img]smile.gif[/img] .
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
            Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

any one think that it could be valve tick? If so then there are oil aditatives that you can put in that will stop it. It's a hell of a lot easier than checking the pushrods.
              1998 V6 m5<br />ram air mod<br />(the sc is for south carolina not super charged but maybe that will change)<p>\"Thank the Lord for air tools\"

Comment

ya, it's not very loud at all. just something i noticed and thought it may be a sign of trouble. is the injector cleaner a good idea? i think it might be a wise decision to run up to walmart and get some of that stuff anyway. thx a lot dominic!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> any one think that it could be valve tick? If so then there are oil aditatives that you can put in that will stop it. It's a hell of a lot easier than checking the pushrods. <hr></blockquote>

these additives ya'll are talking about, are they worth it? i've heard they don't do jack.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: Only4U ]</p>

Comment

My friend has a 94 3000 gt and he had some valve tick and put in some stuff that worked. I dont know what brand it was but it worked.
                  1998 V6 m5<br />ram air mod<br />(the sc is for south carolina not super charged but maybe that will change)<p>\"Thank the Lord for air tools\"

Comment

well, i put in the injector cleaner stuff and it didn't do anything...i will look for some valve ticking stopper stuff for the next oil change...anyone got any suggestions as to which stuff to get? thx.

Comment

Bent pushrod? I doubt it, don't waste your time on that.when your listening for the noise does it change at idle(louder)? If it decreases with RPM's going higher then it's likely lifter noise. Your injectors will tick audibly sometimes, your just hearing them fire.Try just changing the oil and see what happens.
                      99 Dodge Quadcab<br />Traded: 2001 Camaro(will be missed)<p>Be wary of anything that can bleed for 5 days and live....

Comment

could also be a mild exhaust leak.. if it only does it when hot could be a little exhaust leak.. if it only does it when cold it could be a mild valve tick... as the motor warms up things expand and tighen up making it go away..
                        mine does it.. I think it's normal..

oah yeah and about the over revving thing.. I think that is pretty much limited to LS1's.. I read somewhere.. (proably cZ28.com) it can happen relativley easily on LS1's but not LT1's..

[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
                        -Brad
                        98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
                        2000 V-Star Custom 1100
                        If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
                        :rock:

Comment

i let my mechanic listen to it today. he said it was the injectors...he said all injectors tick all the time, and if you rev it and then listen for a sec they won't make any noise cause they won't need to inject. pretty cool little listen...i just didn't know it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X