start up problem????help please..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start up problem????help please..

in the morning when i go to start my car i have to crank it give it some gas and then the car will stay on. if not it will just crank and turn on for like a second and turn right off again. it is a 99 firebird w/ 100,000 miles i have checked all the spark plugs but they are golden brown w/ a little bit of white on them. from my expieriences spark pligs are fouled out when they are dark brown. But it is not just in the morning thou, if i let the car sit for about a few hours and it gets cold again the same problem occurs. it carnks but until i give it some gas it wont stay on.
    Its not a Camaro, Its a FIREBIRD!!!!

I'm not really an expertise in the ignition category but i'll try my best to help. It sounds to me with your problem that you are having starting the car when it's cold is due to the spark plug wires. What I think you should do is find an ohm meter (if you don't have one find one from a friend or you can probably get one for $15 or so, it might come in handy later too). Take your spark plug wires out and hook the leads into each end of the wire. If the resistance is over 30,000 they need to be changed. If they all seem to be good I'm not sure what to tell you but i'm confident you will find your problem right there. If the car is running a really rough one of your coils might be bad too. If this is the case remove the coils and on the underside of the coil. Use an ohmeter to test the resistance it should be from .50-.90 ohms.

That should keep you good for a while. Hope I could've helped.

Comment

i was thinking it might be something with the coils spark plugs and wires but i havent thought of the ignition coils. thanks for the help i will give that a try.
      Its not a Camaro, Its a FIREBIRD!!!!

Comment

i would put money on it that your fuel filter is plugged same thing happened to me in my old ranger
        1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X