Hm, gapped plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hm, gapped plugs

I got my TGK NR6 plugs, but I got the ones gapped at .35. It says on thunderracing's website that, .35 is best for forced induction engines. Well, my car is gonna be turbo'd within the next few months so I got them anyway. Now I'm getting a misfire on cylinder 5 and my car is totally puttering. Basically my question is, will the .35 be ok for my stock engine?

Also, where can i get spark plug wire protection boots
    ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Gap them to .06 for now. Once you get the turbo, gap them at .035. Also check to make sure that all the plug wires are on tight.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

the plugs came at .035. Will the install place be able to switch them? Thx
      ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Well, two questions:

why did you buy plugs for forced induction, when you're naturally aspirated? Yes, you may have turbo a month or 10 years from now, but your engine is N/A right now, so why put foced induction plugs there? Of course you're going to have misfire problems.

You have to make sure those plugs are regapable, some aren't. To gap, get .99c gauge at any parts store and pair of pliers, why go to place that put plugs in?

Comment

they will rape you in the butt to install plugs..

if your N/A you can either gap them at .050 - .060.

mine are at .060 and not a hair more.

your better off putting some time and elbo greese into it instead of dishing out money for a shop to do it.

good luck
          96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

there's a vocational school around here that does stuff for free as long as you have the parts. I sure hope they are regappable!

Comment

plugs have to be regappable

worst comes to worse and the electrode breaks and you're out like $3 for the broken plug [img]tongue.gif[/img]

also, if you're gonna be running FI later, get the FI plugs later

don't run platinum plugs on a F/I application, it doesnt mix [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

ok, so i bought this .99 cent gapping disc thingy from auto zone. Is that really how I gap my plugs? I thought it'd be a littler more technical than that. It's a little disc that I spin around until it reaches the proper gap. Does that sound right to you guys?

Also, I'm getting ready to do this tune up thingy myself. I have a ratchet, the plugs, wires, ramps. What other tools would I need? Should i get some kind of protector for my wires? Auto zone sells these blue heat resistant tubes that go around anything. Would that be good to use?

Thanks

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jc Kyle:
                  ok, so i bought this .99 cent gapping disc thingy from auto zone. Is that really how I gap my plugs? I thought it'd be a littler more technical than that. It's a little disc that I spin around until it reaches the proper gap. Does that sound right to you guys?

Also, I'm getting ready to do this tune up thingy myself. I have a ratchet, the plugs, wires, ramps. What other tools would I need? Should i get some kind of protector for my wires? Auto zone sells these blue heat resistant tubes that go around anything. Would that be good to use?

Thanks
                  <hr></blockquote>

To what you have, you'll need 3 inch extension, spark plug socket and de-electric grease and anti-seize compound (both are 99c at autozone). De-electric grese goes into boots, anti-seize goes onto spark plug thread. And I believe you already have protectors on your wires. Take old wires off and pull metal heat shield off and put it on new set of wires.

[ September 26, 2003: Message edited by: ka50 ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gregmondro:
                    plugs have to be regappable

worst comes to worse and the electrode breaks and you're out like $3 for the broken plug [img]tongue.gif[/img]

also, if you're gonna be running FI later, get the FI plugs later

don't run platinum plugs on a F/I application, it doesnt mix [img]smile.gif[/img]
                    <hr></blockquote>

Or hole in piston with possible valve damage if it breaks off after you put it into the cylinder.

Comment

summet carries plug boot protectors made out of heat resistant material they also come in colors

Comment

I believe it is di-electric grease, and the anti-seize compound is not required. Some people use it, some don't. I worked at a mechanic shop for a year and we never used it for spark plugs, they are supposed to stay in.
                        1995 Firebird 3.4L<br /><a href=\"http://kansas.no-ip.com/\" target=\"_blank\">My Site</a>

Comment

Well there's a chance they can seize, especially if he overheats the engine sometime in the future. 99c is worth it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                            by ssms5411
                            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                            1 week ago
                          • RPDRed6
                            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                            by RPDRed6
                            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • ssms5411
                            No start problem
                            by ssms5411
                            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                            4 weeks ago
                          • SixShooter'00Camaro
                            Revival
                            by SixShooter'00Camaro
                            Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X