anyone swap out a 3.4L for a 3800 series...opinions needed..w/in - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone swap out a 3.4L for a 3800 series...opinions needed..w/in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone swap out a 3.4L for a 3800 series...opinions needed..w/in

Just curious....has anyone dropped a 3.8L in place of their 3.4. A used 3.8 has to be a helluva lot cheaper than a LT1. Dropping an LT1/LS1 would require swapping the entire exhaust system as well as transmission...correct?? However would a 3.8 use the same exhause and transmission??? I want some opinions whether or not this would be an easy swap and what would have to go into it.
    Thanks guys,
    Rob O.
    1995 Camaro 3.4L

jsut curious, why are you keeping your exhasut?

Seems like if you want ot do the swap you are looking for powere nad will most likely look to upgrade the exhasut too.

jsut FYI I got a stock 96z28 exhasut for free, Catback to tips, jsut had to pick it up, check regional sectons on web boards, and aqsk around.

You will need a different crossmember, for the 3.8L, you will also need a different computer, lots of wiring and such.

you will need a different bellhousing also.

Depending on the prices of the motors, they are going to be very similar minus the tranny.

If you are going to the trouble to do the swap I think oyu would be much happier with an LT1, in the end we all want power. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Why would you want to drop a 3.8 in? Have you ever driven one? I love the 3.4 has a nice throat and very responsive. 3.8 is very responsive but sounds like a minivan engine.. I would drive one before investing your time...
      1994, 3.4, 3.23, Dark Green<br />74,000 Miles as of 05/15/02<br />Have had tons of problems but still<br />love the darn thing,,,,

Comment

From what I have heard a 3.8 swap is actually more difficult than an LT1 swap. I've helped with an LT1 swap and trust me it isn't a treat. The engine cradle which the mmotor mounts sit on much be changed and it sucks bad. I would not suggest a 3.8 swap for the simple reason that its only 40 hp. If you spent 2 grand on a motor swap you could easily pull an extra 40 hp from a 3.4. Just my opinion.
        1995 Pontiac Firebird 3.4L <br />TA front bumper, TA rear bumper, 98-02 Honeycomb tailights, GM Ram Air hood, 2k C5 18X9.5 Corvette rims all the way around, custom autoloc shaved handles, camaro two tone interior, silver badging, clear front marker lenses, RK sport headers, gutted cat, dynomax dual exhaust, Rear disc rearend, Richmond 3.73 gears, Zexel torsen LSD, Cross drilled front rotors, 2 12\" MTX thunder 8000s, Clarion 400W amp, MTX 5 1/4 <br />Components, thunder 4262 amp, pioneer head unit, Hypertech power programmer (Yes it does exist)

Comment

Yeah, give up on that idea. The pain is not worth 40 hp. Try out a power adder of some sort.
          \'94 Camaro 3.4<br />\"No, Starvin Marvin. That\'s my pot pie.\"

Comment

Just an idea. You could acquire another 3.4L block somewhere and rebuild it for power. Shouldn't have any problems swapping it in after you are done either. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

LT1 swap might be better and the same parts might be involved but 3.8 v6 stuff is way cheaper than LT1, I say do the swap. Why not build up a 3.8 before putting it in also.

Comment

the only thing thats more expensive is if u use a t56 instead of an a4, and the LT1 is a little more expensive but everything needs to be changed out regardless, I wouldn't bother, go Lt1 if u wanna swap engines.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X