about that ish, oil change time what oil to use? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about that ish, oil change time what oil to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about that ish, oil change time what oil to use?

what oil should i go with so much to choose from only 67,000 miles so im kinda wanting a performance oil that can withstand my harsh driving...any ideas?...my friend told me to get redline or royal purple but i dont think my car is a race car yet
    speed costs money, question is how fast can you afford to go??

I have been using Valvoline Durablend, which is a synthetic blend motor oil. I also use their Durablend transmission fluid and gear lube.
    If you really beat on your car it may be a good idea to spent a few extra buck and go with a full-synthetic. Mobile 1 would be a smart brand to go with.
    2000 Monterey Maroon Chevrolet Camaro<br />3.8L V-6/4spd Auto

Comment

I use Mobil 1 10W-30 and a slightly oversize [from stock] AC Delco PF-52. I'm trying a 5,000 mile oil change interval [unless overrruled by the "oil change" light], and will send my current used oil for analysis in a week or so.

BTW, the total cost of that if you buy the oil from walmart and the filter from a parts store is about $25.
      \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

thanks a lot for the wal mart tip i think ima head there cause ill get it done for free ill just pay for the oil...pays to have family work there [img]smile.gif[/img]
        speed costs money, question is how fast can you afford to go??

Comment

I've been using the Wal-mart Supertech filter and 10-30 Full Synthetic in my camaro for about 15,000 miles now (changes of course at 3500 miles each or 4k). I use the ST3980 filter (4.3 V6 size).

I've been using the filters for about two years now on both of my camaro's, moms dodge caravan and at the time, my exes grand prix GT. Great filters for 1.97 and no problems..

also switched to the wal-mart 10-30 synthetic from M1 on all the cars as well, no problems either.

Great info on oil - www.bobistheoilguy.com
          -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

p.s. according to what I've read and heard, the Wal-Mart "Supertech" filter is actually BETTER than the Fram filters you can get there, so make sure you get one of those.

Again, some of us like to use the oversize [PF 52 ac delco] versus the regular dixie cup-sized one [PF 47].
            Dunno what that translates into using the ST numbering.
            \'00 f-bird 3.8 M5 coupe, pewter metallic<br />Torsen LSD, Pro 5.0 shifter, Spec stage 1 clutch, Y87 muffler, aftermarket stereo<br />-more fun than the Oldsmobile it replaced...

Comment

PF-52 translates into ST3980.

The ST filters are becoming mroe and more popular at my local walmart, as well as the synthetic oil (2.97 a quart) and the gallon jugs are HARD to come by. I always buy up 2-3 ST16 filters for my moms Dodge and 2-3 ST3980's for my car.
              -1999 Camaro Coupe 3800 Series II V6 A4 - SOLD<br />-1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP coupe

Comment

I used to use a synthetic, but I just switched to conventional. I change mine every 3,000 or before, sometimes as low as 2000 because I am a freak. Mobil 1 in my opinion is the best oil out there, but it is also one of the most expensive. Ive just been using castrol GTX conventional. Later,
                Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X