big problems for the first time, help appreciated - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

big problems for the first time, help appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big problems for the first time, help appreciated

Kinda long, but please read.
    A week ago my left turn signal stopped working, it would turn on but not blink, and the back wouldn't work at all, even as a brake light. That's the first strange thing. Then it started working again- no big deal. Then a week later it stopped working, now the check gauges light is on for no apparent reason. I check things over, basic stuff, all fluids. Things seem ok, just weird.
    Today the check gauges light is on, as well as the ABS inop light, and the siganl doesnt work. As I'm driving the engine just isn't revving, rpms are dropping, so I pull into a lot. Now it wont start. Not the battery, maybe the starter, but I dont think so. It cranked, just wouldnt turn over. I wait some time and come back with friends. It starts this time. I drive back towards my dorm and it starts stalling, rpms dropping again, and I here some backfiring. Then all the gauge lights come on, even the ones that dont have anything to do with anything, some blink. I pull into another lot, and get a cop to write me a broken down vehicle permit, he was a cool one, fortunately, and helped me move the car in neutral to a space. Anyway, I'm thinking computer problems, maybe trouble with some sensors? Any similar situations? Help would be appreciated.
    \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

sounds like a bad alternater.

Next time your blinkers aren't working, you need-not check the fluids in the engine. Instead, check to see if a turn signal bulb is burnt out :D

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by hockeyman:
      sounds like a bad alternater.
      <hr></blockquote>

I'm 99.9999% sure it is your alternator!

EXACT same symptoms happened to me.. - a few things..If you have a battery tester, test the battery when the car is not on..it should be in the 12's...Test it while you start the car, it should drop alittle..once the car is running, test it again, and it SHOULD be in the 14's. I just replaced the alternator and battery on my car, and it fixed everything.

When you brake, does your battery gauge drop down at all? That is another symptom.
      94 Camaro 3.4 A4 <br />T-Tops<br />In the process of an LS1 swap.

Comment

I already checked the bulbs, but thanks for asking, the fluids were just regular maintenace.
        Here's the thing, the car won't start, either. I couldn't get it to start at all today. Would that still fit the alternator diagnosis?
        \'95 3.4 metallic teal Camaro- t-boned by an F-250, sold and still runnin\' somewhere out there...<br /><br />\'96 3.8 metallic teal camaro<br /><br />...Lookin for black 6 speed Z28 or Trans Am...

Comment

I had a 94 beretta that did a simular thing. it turned out to be the alternator and some other electrical things like ground wires. another suggestion is that if you cant fix it yourself alot of colleges with a automotive program will fix the car really cheap. at my school we work for 15 an hour apposed to 80-90 an hour at a shop. good luck.
          white 1996 camaro 3800: flowmaster American thunder cat back. hypertech 160* stat, and manual fan switch

Comment

GROUND!!!

make sure all grounds are secure
            1998 Chevrolet Camaro L36 M5<br />1982 Toyota Celica Supra 7MGTE project car - FOR SALE<br /><br />\"I find the most sensual part of the woman is the boobies.\" - Zap Brannigan

Comment

dude, i had the same EXACT thing happen a few months ago on my 98 firebird... ALTERNATOR! the reason it started after you waited awhile is because the battery can "surface charge" a small amount of energy, and the reason why it won't start now is because the amount of energy just isn't high enough to surface. another problem that i had was a leaking battery, on the + cable, this just caused me to lose voltage to things like the stereo... etc at first, but over a period of time it got worse and eventually both battery and cable had to be replaced... alternator's a snap to replace on my 3.8, cable was a bit harder but if you do both then you should be covered for quite a while.

Comment

ALTERNATOR!!! Thats it ...99%
                My car looks great and runs good. <br />Please Look at my car, it may be one of a kind!!! Let me know if you like it...<br />Hard to find 1995 Firebird with 3.8<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=429908\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=429908</a>

Comment

Yep, alternator. Got it taken care of. Thanks, guys.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X