Alt / belt tensioner questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alt / belt tensioner questions

Well my alt went out on Sunday and I bought a new today. My question is how to install it. I have a 3.4L.

Which pulley is the belt tensioner and which bolt loosens it? Anything else I should know before installing it?

Thanks in advance! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

edit: BTW - I did a search and couldn't find anything for the 3.4.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: Reverend_Ezekiel ]</p>
    <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

I am not familiar with the 3.4, but if it is like most every other GM engine, there is a pulley near the middle of the front of the engine that that the belt goes around that looks like it drives nothing - that is usually the idler/tensioner pully. If you look on the bracket the holds the pulley, you should see a square hole, just the right size for a 3/8" breaker bar head or ratchet head. Just put the square end of the breaker bar head or the ratchet head into the opening, and you should be able to move the pulley enough to get the belt off - the pulley is spring loaded.

p.s., I don't know how familiar with replacing alternators, but here are a few tips...
    • Remove the negative terminal from the battery before you disconnect any other wires
    • There are probably 3 different bolts holding the alternator in place, be sure to get them all.
    • Check the red power lead to the alternator for damage.

Good luck.

[ August 07, 2002: Message edited by: rockotman ]</p>
    ...it\'s lonely out in space...

Comment

Look down at the front center of your engine. the auto-T is a puley about 5 inches in diameter and is set off to the side of another circle. It is also to the left (from the front) of the big wheel on the bottom of the engine. Put a socket in the center and turn towards the driver's side. This will rotate the puley to loosen enough to slide the belt off. make sure you disconnect your battery before you do the alt. It has been a while since I did my alt, but if you run into trouble my cell number is 713-203-8176
      Joel<br />God is my copilot, but Satan has his foot on the gas!<br />94 3.4L AutoCamaroRagtop w/MSD ignition,Accelcoilpacks,K&N FIPK,BMR SFC&STB,3\"Catco w/3\"catbackSS muffler,JetStage 2,HomemadePIAAheadlightconversion <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.geocities.com/cardiac1968</a>

Comment

Thanks guys!! Its wasn't as hard as i had thought it would be! Works good as new now!
        <b><i>1999 Pewter Trans Am M6 - Stock for now...<br />296.6 RWHP and 310.6 RWTQ</i></b> -<i>SOLD</i><p><i>\"There are vast amounts of money to be made in the sevice of the Lord!\"</i><br /><i>1994 Green Camaro M5 - <b>SOLD</b></i><p><br /><b><i>Associate of VENOM-VI</i></b>

Comment

whats venom vi ??

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>whats venom vi ?? <hr></blockquote>

Venom VI is the local Dallas/Ft. Worth V6 club. There is a forum for us on the board!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X