oil type question.plese look.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil type question.plese look.

I did a search on this and could't find anything,hopefully some can help me.
    How about changing from w-30 to w-40, can it be posible? At what mileage should be switch? will it hurt anything? I apreciate any help thanx.
    ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Changing the oil viscosity is not recommended unless you have a specific reason to do such a thing. Going from 10W-30 to 5W-30 is usually done in extremely cold weather; thinner oils pump easier in the cold.

Going to a 10W-40 would not benefit your 3800 in any way. If you're planning on racing, and only race, you *might* consider switching to SAE30 synthetic - but it isn't necessary.
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

5W30 is used if the temperatures get below 0. I would only use it in the middle of winter here in Chicago, otherwise I run 10W30. Get an oil with moly in it like Valvoline MaxLife. The best bang for the buck I know of. It's basically a synthetic, but noone knows and it's sold for under $2 a quart.

Comment

I was just thinking in changing the viscosity in the future, you know when it gets to 150k+ whith no rebuilt.Right now i'm running with "MOBIL 1 10w 30 antiweare full synthetic" i like this oil alot.I've been using it since i got the car brand new, it has 69700 miles now and i just bore scope the engine and still looks brand new on the inside. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Thanx for the info.That clears my question.
        ~S87 Black 99 Firebird~

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 9t9fb:
          I was just thinking in changing the viscosity in the future, you know when it gets to 150k+ whith no rebuilt.Right now i'm running with "MOBIL 1 10w 30 antiweare full synthetic" i like this oil alot.I've been using it since i got the car brand new, it has 69700 miles now and i just bore scope the engine and still looks brand new on the inside. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          Thanx for the info.That clears my question.
          <hr></blockquote>

They just swtiched their forumla to something different. It's not as good as the old one. Just so you know.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X